Blow-by

To: Spitfire Mail List <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Blow-by
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 19:42:22 -0700
For those who have expressed a concern about their Spitfires blowing oil
out the dipstick tube and other places, and for those who have been
following my own exploits with oil blow-by, I have the following to
report.

Today, I installed my "Home Grown" solution to see if I have
accomplished anything.  It goes something like this:

1.  I fabricated a plate with a tube coming out of it, to mount over the
hole where the Fuel pump used to be.
2.  I mounted a Moss Finned Aluminum valve cover with Breather tube on
the side.
3.  I fabricated a catch bottle from a cooling system catch battle and
mounted it to the firewall in front of the driver seat.
4.  I ran a hose from both ports to the bottle through a stock Spitfire
Breather hose "T" connector.
5.  The catch bottle is vented so oil will collect there while venting
the fumes.

Now I will take the Spit out for a shakedown cruise tomorrow and report
back with the results.

Regards,
Joe Curry

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer