Re: Crankshaft end play

To: Edward Hamilton <hamilton@ptd.net>
Subject: Re: Crankshaft end play
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 19:43:24 -0700
Ed,
The spec for end play on the 1500 is .006 to .014 inches.  So you are
still within the specified tolerance.  But it is worth monitoring.  You
don't want to be the guy who lets the thrust washers fall into the oil
pan and end up buying a whole new engine.

Regards,
Joe Curry

Edward Hamilton wrote:

> In checking the condition of the thrust washers in my '80 Spit, I have
> an amount of end play equal to .012.  I first used a pry bar (my torque
> wrench) to make sure the crankshaft was as far rearward as possible.
> Then, while the clutch was depressed, I re-measured the distance between
> the pulley and the block to determine the amount of travel.
> So.....my question is, does a value of 12 thousandths indicate "all is
> well" or am I standing in doggy do-do once again.
>
> Best regards,
> Ed Hamilton

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer