Drive Spitfire without sills?

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs-owner@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Drive Spitfire without sills?
From: jw@mail09.mitre.org (Joe Whalley)
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 98 18:51:21 -0400
I need to replace the sills on my spitfire, probably all 3 pieces -
the outer, inner stiffener, and the inner sill. I have a place about
12 miles away where I can get access to a MIG welder. What I want to
do is cut away the outer sill so I can see if I need to replace these
inner parts. If I do this, can I still drive the car to the welder?
How about the inner components?

I'm not sure what the outer sill contributes to the structural
integrity, (I think I just answered my question - in its present
state, not much...)

Any pointers on sill replacement or mig welding in general would be
appreciated by this body work novice.

Joe
72 Spitfire aka Norman