Re: flasher troubles

To: "Kevin B. Rhodes" <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Subject: Re: flasher troubles
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@idirect.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 13:10:20 -0400
Ken, I would start at the fuse panel. Check for good contact between the
fuses and the metal clips that hold them. Over the years, the clips lose
tension and hence a poor contact results. They can also get corroded.
Clean the contacts and gently squeeze the clips toward each other. Once
this is checked out go to the indicator lights and check for good
connections on both the hot and ground wires. Often the bulbs and
connectors get corroded too. You can also have problems of grounding
between the socket holder and the reflector assembly.
The fact that the 4-ways work OK and the indicators don't is that the
current load is higher for the 4 lights flashing versus only 2 for the
turn signals. The higher current allows the flasher heat up enough to
flash. Poor grounds or corroded contacts present a resist connection and
prevent full current load for the turn signal operation.
I've also had my 4-way switch out and dis-assembled and contacts cleaned
but unless your are very confident in this don't touch it. It is
probably OK anyway.
Good luck.

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire