Re: Clutch release bearing

To: spitfire@worldchat.com
Subject: Re: Clutch release bearing
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 20:50:30 -0600
Chris,

I don't know if the Mk1 is different than your 75 but on my the pin
is a light press fit.  It might work to drive it in from the bottom
pushing the bolt out the top.  If the pin doesn't feel very snug
after you do this then I'm lost at this point hopefully someone else
is better versed in this than I am.

> I have a problem with my 75 spitfire clutch.
> Clutch engages when pedal is about 1" from floor and it is
> difficult to select reverse without it crashing into gear, ditto for
> shifting from third to second. Last night  I bled the hydraulic
> system without removing transmission cover but got no improvement at
> all. Tonight I stripped the interior and removed the transmission
> cover with thoughts of removing the slave and either rebuilding or
> replacing it. On closer inspection it looks like the DPO has
> replaced the clutch release bearing bracket pivot pin with a hex
> socket head capscrew drilled through the threaded end for a cotter
> pin to hold it in place. Does this sound like a correct assumption
> and if so is it possible to install the correct pin without removing
> the transmission i.e. drifting the correct pin up from the bottom? I
> have both Haynes and Bentley manuals but neither shows what holds
> this pin in place as it seems to ride in two bushings. Is it a press
> fit in the lever. Also could this be the source of my problems or am
> I still looking at r&r'ing the slave cylinder. Thanks in advance
> Chris Taylor 75 Spitfire Burlington, Ontario

Brad  (In Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)

1964 Spitfire4            BFC25720L (Back on the Road!!!!!)
1966 TR4A                CT72398L (Car is finally home and ready for
Restoration)
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Frame back in garage and ready to
paint)