shotimes

RE: [Shotimes] Thoughts on Kumho Ecsta 711s

To: <shotimes@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] Thoughts on Kumho Ecsta 711s
From: "Ron Porter" <ronporter@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 19:43:29 -0400
None of that happens.

FWIW, on the ES100, the 7" is not the "nominal" (whatever that means), it's
the Spec width, which means that's the width that they use to measure the
tire dimensions.

Going to an 8" width does NOT "force the carcass". In fact, that setup on my
911 was back to the stock factory setup (225/50/16 on 16x8" wheels in the
rear, as well as 205/55/16 on 16x6" on the front). Look at the section width
(8.9" for the 55, 9.1" for the 50) and the tread width (8.3") for the ES100
225 tires. There is nothing being forced anywhere with an 8" rim.

When mfrs spec a rim they also think of ride comfort as a trade-off to
performance, like they did allowing a 225/55/16 on a 16x6.5" rim on the Gen
3 SHO. An 8" rim on a 225 tire, which is still under the section and tread
width, is still an ideal setup.

It does NOT cause "aggressive shoulder wear, "under" wear in the center of
the footprint, an offset footprint, and carcass deformation (which can lead
to separation)". In a similar vein, my current 215/45/17s on a 17x7.5" rim
are nicely worn evenly across after four very hard track days, and 20K+ road
miles

Ron Porter