Re: [Shop-talk] Compressor Oil

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Compressor Oil
From: old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 08:38:09 -0800
Cc: shop-talk@autox.team.net

--000000000000a823ed060e49975f

Hi Bob,

Wow, that sounds like good oil, US-made, and the price is great.

Thank you.

best,

doug

On Sat, Jan 6, 2024 at 8:25=E2=80=AFAM Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> w=
rote:

> My late father had a 5HP, 60gal DeVilbiss he bought probably 30 or more
> years ago; it gets light/medium duty on our ranch. He probably changed th=
> oil a couple times but not in the last 10 years or so that I know of. The
> motor cooked a while back--after a large painting job--and I installed a
> new one with a new belt, and changed out the oil. I did a lot of
> 'shopping,' but was mostly considering price. These days, synthetic is
> often the same price or even cheaper and I think by-and-large it's better
> oil (the old tractors still get cheap mineral 10W-40, the Healeys get
> Valvoline 20W-50 Racing and the Mustang gets Ford's ubiquitous 5W-20
> semi-syn; free from the dealer). I settled on this:
>

> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B094S6FKF4/ref=3Dewc_pr_img_1?smid=3DA1=
UZMJJOVEC3U&th=3D1

> I pumped the old oil out the top with a vacuum unit and didn't see any
> evidence of sludge and, actually I wouldn't expect any since you're not
> dealing with combustion byproducts.
>
> Bob
>
> On 1/5/2024 6:51 AM, Moose wrote:
>
> I have a nice Eaton compressor (7.5HP) that has been flawless since I got
> it (not, the first one I got had a bad weld, but they replaced it, free,
> right away.)
>
> Anyway.  I maybe let the oil go a little too long between changes, but
> when I went to change it this time, the oil was filled with sludge.
>
> I use the Eaton oil, and the compressor is not overworked ever.  It was a
> pain to clean it out.
> In the manual, it says I can't use automotive oil (and I can understand
> that.) but it just has a Eaton part # for their oil.  No alternatives or
> specs
>
> The problem is that ordering the oil from them is a pain (you have to fil=
> out a form. Then wait for them to send an invoice a few days later, then
> pay the invoice and wait for them to ship it.)
>
> Don't get me wrong, I think they are a great company, but I wanted to fin=
> out if  can get the same (or better) oil from a place that is a little
> easier to deal with.  Ideally, I would love to find the correct oil on
> Amazon and set up a 'reoccurring delivery' for every 6 months so it remin=
ds
> me to change the oil.
>
> OR, is their an oil that doesn't turn to sludge and is easy to change?
>
> Again, overall, I am not looking for a cheaper oil, just one that is
> easier to get and or better.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Moose

--000000000000a823ed060e49975f

e good oil, US-made, and the price is great.</div><div class=3D"gmail_defau=
lt" style=3D"font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=
=3D"font-size:small">Thank you.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"=
font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:=
small">best,</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small"><b=
 Sat, Jan 6, 2024 at 8:25=E2=80=AFAM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bspi=
class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px sol=
id rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><u></u>

 =20
   =20
 =20
    My late father had a 5HP, 60gal DeVilbiss he bought probably 30 or
    more years ago; it gets light/medium duty on our ranch. He probably
    changed the oil a couple times but not in the last 10 years or so
    that I know of. The motor cooked a while back--after a large
    painting job--and I installed a new one with a new belt, and changed
    out the oil. I did a lot of &#39;shopping,&#39; but was mostly consider=
ing
    price. These days, synthetic is often the same price or even cheaper
    and I think by-and-large it&#39;s better oil (the old tractors still ge=
    cheap mineral 10W-40, the Healeys get Valvoline 20W-50 Racing and
    the Mustang gets Ford&#39;s ubiquitous 5W-20 semi-syn; free from the
    dealer). I settled on this:<br>
smid=3DA1UZMJJOVEC3U&amp;th=3D1" target=3D"_blank">https://www.amazon.com/g=
p/product/B094S6FKF4/ref=3Dewc_pr_img_1?smid=3DA1UZMJJOVEC3U&amp;th=3D1</a>=
    I pumped the old oil out the top with a vacuum unit and didn&#39;t see
    any evidence of sludge and, actually I wouldn&#39;t expect any since
    you&#39;re not dealing with combustion byproducts. <br>
    Bob <br>
     =20
        (7.5HP)
        that has been flawless since I got it (not, the first one I got
        had a bad
        weld, but they replaced it, free, right away.)</font>
l go
        a little too long between changes, but when I went to change it
        this time,
        the oil was filled with sludge.</font>
        compressor
        is not overworked ever.=C2=A0 It was a pain to clean it out.</font>
;t
        use automotive
        oil (and I can understand that.) but it just has a Eaton part #
        for their
        oil.=C2=A0 No alternatives or specs</font>
        oil
        from them is a pain (you have to fill out a form. Then wait for
        them to
        send an invoice a few days later, then pay the invoice and wait
        for them
        to ship it.)</font>
they
        are
        a great company, but I wanted to find out if =C2=A0can get the same
        (or
        better) oil from a place that is a little easier to deal with.
        =C2=A0Ideally,
        I would love to find the correct oil on Amazon and set up a
        &#39;reoccurring
        delivery&#39; for every 6 months so it reminds me to change the oil=
.</font>
39;t
        turn
        to sludge and is easy to change?</font>
        for
        a cheaper oil, just one that is easier to get and or better.</font>
      <fieldset></fieldset>
      <pre>_______________________________________________

ox.team.net</a>
//www.team.net/donate.html</a>