Re: [Shop-talk] homeowner/ shop guy cordless drill

To: "Shop-Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] homeowner/ shop guy cordless drill
From: Karl Vacek <stearman809@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2023 21:29:24 -0500
--===============9098952160831582308==

--189b93a795a2f6428059216653

I got good use out of a 14V DeWalt drill over 20 years, but the batteries
were a big bother and expense.  I gave up on genuine DeWalt batteries early
on because all they offered then was NiCad and they're just a pain, with
their low capacity, memory issues, and no smart charger/conditioner.  Began
buying NiMH Chinese ones off eBay and had far better luck.  But technology
advanced and my drill was relatively weak and had no hammer capability.  I
was still using corded drills when I needed power or had lots of work to do.

Then in about 2000 I got a Christmas deal on a Milwaukee Fuel 18V hammer
drill and 1/4" impact set with 2 batteries, plus another battery free, from
Homey.  All 5AH batteries, both tools are Fuel (meaning brushless -
powerful and not battery hungry).  Batteries are computer equipped and
sense load, temp, and state of charge.  Charger is fast, though they do
sell even faster ones that do 2 batteries at once if you're a contractor.

For me these are pretty perfect.  The impact handles not only construction
work but most automotive stuff too.  I still need a real impact for big
things, but the battery one is fine for run of the mill fasteners.  My $230
investment was well worth it, and I almost never charge batteries any more.

I recently added the 18V Fuel Multi tool after my second Horrible Fart one
broke just after the warrantee.  Comparatively quiet, powerful, and fast
tool changes.  Incredibly handy.  And I already have batteries.

Karl

On August 2, 2023 7:57:43 PM Joe Szwed <szwedj@gmail.com> wrote:

> To me the batteries are the expensive part, so I would look to see who may
> offer other tools you may like.  Once you have a couple batteries, you can
> add tools by buying them without batteries.  I started with the 18v Dewalt
> and since I do a fair amount of mechanical work I need a 1/2â?? impact.  The
> Dewalt 18v impact was a big disappointment for me.  I had heard a lot of
> good things about Milwaukeeâ??s 18v impact and decided to try it, but being
> on the cheap side, what I did was buy a starter kit on sale at Homedepot
> with a battery and a charger.  Then I picked up a new in the box tool only
> 1/2â?? impact off eBay.  It worked out well enough for me that I have added
> other tools as needed.  I bought a 1/2â?? drill, sawzall, 4â?? disc grinder,
> multi tool, die grinder and Iâ??m looking to add a circular saw and heat gun
> next.  Iâ??ve paid anywhere from $100 to $170 ea for the tools I have added
> so far mostly from eBay or other online tool sales.
>
> Joe
>
> Sent from my iPhone

--189b93a795a2f6428059216653

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.=
w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
ut the batteries were a big bother and expense.&nbsp; I gave up on genuine =
DeWalt batteries early on because all they offered then was NiCad and they'=
re just a pain, with their low capacity, memory issues, and no smart charge=
r/conditioner.&nbsp; Began buying NiMH Chinese ones off eBay and had far be=
tter luck.&nbsp; But technology advanced and my drill was relatively weak a=
nd had no hammer capability.&nbsp; I was still using corded drills when I n=
v dir=3D"auto">Then in about 2000 I got a Christmas deal on a Milwaukee Fue=
l 18V hammer drill and 1/4" impact set with 2 batteries, plus another batte=
ry free, from Homey.&nbsp; All 5AH batteries, both tools are Fuel (meaning =
brushless - powerful and not battery hungry).&nbsp; Batteries are computer =
equipped and sense load, temp, and state of charge.&nbsp; Charger is fast, =
though they do sell even faster ones that do 2 batteries at once if you're =
se are pretty perfect.&nbsp; The impact handles not only construction work =
but most automotive stuff too.&nbsp; I still need a real impact for big thi=
ngs, but the battery one is fine for run of the mill fasteners.&nbsp; My $2=
30 investment was well worth it, and I almost never charge batteries any mo=
 18V Fuel Multi tool after my second Horrible Fart one broke just after the=
 warrantee.&nbsp; Comparatively quiet, powerful, and fast tool changes.&nbs=
p; Incredibly handy.&nbsp; And I already have batteries.</div><div dir=3D"a=
om&gt; wrote:</div>
ex; border-left: 1px solid #808080; padding-left: 0.75ex;">
ok to see who may offer other tools you may like. &nbsp;Once you have a cou=
ple batteries, you can add tools by buying them without batteries. &nbsp;I =
started with the 18v Dewalt and since I do a fair amount of mechanical work=
 I need a 1/2=E2=80=9D impact. &nbsp;The Dewalt 18v impact was a big disapp=
ointment for me. &nbsp;I had heard a lot of good things about Milwaukee=E2=
=80=99s 18v impact and decided to try it, but being on the cheap side, what=
 I did was buy a starter kit on sale at Homedepot with a battery and a char=
ger. &nbsp;Then I picked up a new in the box tool only 1/2=E2=80=9D impact =
off eBay. &nbsp;It worked out well enough for me that I have added other to=
ols as needed. &nbsp;I bought a 1/2=E2=80=9D drill, sawzall, 4=E2=80=9D dis=
c grinder, multi tool, die grinder and I=E2=80=99m looking to add a circula=
r saw and heat gun next. &nbsp;I=E2=80=99ve paid anywhere from $100 to $170=
 ea for the tools I have added so far mostly from eBay or other online tool=
 sales.</div>
utox.team.net/archive</div>
/shop-talk/stearman809@gmail.com</div>

--===============9098952160831582308==--