Re: [Shop-talk] Happy birthday to Team Net

To: Mark Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Happy birthday to Team Net
From: old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 05:44:05 -0700
Cc: shop-talk@autox.team.net

--0000000000004cd71405f922f723

Happy Birthday team net and thank you Mark for supporting all these many
years! It was a vastly different world Internet-wise (and otherwise) three
decades ago.

Many things have changed in the world, of course, and many of us who were
here three decades ago are no longer here to celebrate the birthday.

Sometimes it is easy to look backwards fondly and lament what we may have
lost over time, but it also is very important to keep looking forward as
that is where our opportunities and future lie.

I have been a professor for the last three decades and remember when I had
additional phone lines in my house for the modem and fax machines, and that
1,200 baud Hayes modem was the gateway to the Internet.

I have students today who have not known a world without a smartphone with
pervasive Wi-Fi and cel coverage, do not understand why a house would have
a phone (e.g., who would call a house), cannot reliably tell time on
analogue clocks, have never seen a car with a third peddle, are befuddled
at the sight of a kickstarter on a motorcycle, have never seen a newspaper
or a catalogue or understand what a carburettor does, etc.

It is a different world here three decades later, but much of it has
improved dramatically. Our medecine, our electronics. our connectivity, the
efficiency, emissions and power of our cars and motorcycles, etc.

It actually is wonderful that we have the option of driving a BEV, if we
wish, and at the same time I can still drive my '54 MG TF that has a
hand-crank starter hole in the grill or ride my '72 BSA B50SS kickstart,
tickle the carburettor, 600cc single cylinder motorcycle.

The world has changed dramatically as we have spanned the two centuries
together on this list, but it still is a wonderful life, and I would not
change it for anything. We have been blessed to be on this journey
together...

best,

doug

On Tue, Apr 11, 2023 at 10:49=E2=80=AFPM Mark Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com> =
wrote:

> 32 years ago the team.net domain was created.  Hard to believe it has
> been that long!
>
> mjb.

--=20
Best,

Doug

--0000000000004cd71405f922f723

py Birthday team net and thank you Mark for supporting all these many years=
! It was a vastly different world Internet-wise (and otherwise) three decad=
iv><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small">Many things have =
changed in the world, of course, and many of us who were here three decades=
 ago are no longer here to celebrate the birthday.=C2=A0</div><div class=3D=
"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_def=
ault" style=3D"font-size:small">Sometimes it is easy to look backwards=C2=
=A0fondly and lament what we may have lost over time, but it also is very i=
mportant to keep looking forward as that is where our opportunities and fut=
div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small">I have been a pr=
ofessor for the last three decades and remember when I had additional phone=
 lines in my house for the modem and fax machines, and that 1,200 baud Haye=
s modem was the gateway to the Internet.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" =
style=3D"font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"f=
ont-size:small">I have students today who have not known a world without a =
smartphone with pervasive Wi-Fi and cel coverage, do not understand why a h=
ouse would have a phone (e.g., who would call a house), cannot reliably tel=
l time on analogue clocks, have never seen a car with a third peddle, are b=
efuddled at the sight of a kickstarter on a motorcycle, have never seen a n=
ewspaper or a catalogue or understand what a carburettor does, etc.</div><d=
iv class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small"><br></div><div class=
=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small">It is a different world here t=
hree decades later, but much of it has improved dramatically. Our medecine,=
 our electronics. our connectivity, the efficiency, emissions and power of =
our cars and motorcycles, etc.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"f=
ont-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:s=
mall">It actually is wonderful that we have the option of driving a BEV, if=
 we wish, and at the same time I can still drive my &#39;54 MG TF that has =
a hand-crank starter hole in the grill or ride my &#39;72 BSA B50SS kicksta=
rt, tickle the carburettor, 600cc single cylinder=C2=A0motorcycle.=C2=A0</d=
iv><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small">=C2=A0=C2=A0</div=
ed=C2=A0dramatically as we have spanned the two centuries together on this =
list, but it still is a wonderful life, and I would not change it for anyth=
ing. We have been blessed to be on this journey together...</div><div class=
=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_=
default" style=3D"font-size:small">best,</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" =
style=3D"font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"f=
ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, Apr 11, 2023 at 10:49=E2=80=AFPM Mark Bra=
dakis &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:mark@bradakis.com";>mark@bradakis.com</a>&gt; wr=
ote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px=
 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">32 years ag=
o the <a href=3D"http://team.net"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">team=
.net</a> domain was created.=C2=A0 Hard to believe it has <br>
been that long!<br>
mjb.<br>
ox.team.net</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"norefer=