Re: [Shop-talk] Coast in Neutral -the next great debate

To: "eric@megageek.com" <eric@megageek.com>, "Shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Coast in Neutral -the next great debate
From: DAVID MASSEY <dave1massey@cs.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 12:38:21 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_4881037_444953132.1670935101538

 You didn't mention what the vehicle is but most manual transmissions have =
a layshaft that is down in the oil at the bottom transmission.=C2=A0 As lon=
g as that layshaft is turning it will be splashing oil and keeping everythi=
ng lubricated.=C2=A0 That layshaft is driven by the input shaft.=C2=A0 As l=
ong as the engine is running (even at idle) the you will get sufficient lub=
rication regardless whether the driveshaft is turning or not.
Flat towing is a whole other animal.=C2=A0 Typically, the engine is not run=
ning in which case the main shaft is turning, driven by the drive shaft, bu=
t the layshaft is not.=C2=A0 No splash oiling and the bushings can run dry =
causing damage.=C2=A0 But if the engine is idling and the clutch is engaged=
 - no worries.
I suspect that the laws regarding coasting in=C2=A0 neutral date back to th=
e 30's when brakes were iffy at best.=C2=A0 In today's world brakes are muc=
h more effective and have a level or redundancy built in. My daily driver h=
as a small engine and provides precious little compression braking.=C2=A0 I=
f my brakes were to fail completely (including my hand brake) the engine br=
aking would do very little to prevent a collision.
=20
Dave=20

=20
=20