[Shop-talk] Wiring a 230v 50hz heater for U.S. 220v 60hz supply

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Wiring a 230v 50hz heater for U.S. 220v 60hz supply
From: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 00:29:53 +0200

--000000000000bf4a7205eb92fb3f

Guys,

I'm in France right now. I'd like to buy what amounts to a hot plate here.
The company that makes these sells them all over the world. In France
(where the manufacturer is located) they're about $300. In the U.S.,
they're about $900. A huge chunk of that is just how common they are in
France and uncommon they are in the U.S.--at home they're sold through a
partner licensee.

Anyway, the one I'd buy in France has a French plug on it for 230v 50hz
supply. The specialty retailer offering it says I can replace the plug with
a U.S. 220v plug and it'll work just fine. Either cut it and wire on a
dryer plug or unscrew the plug in the unit and install a dryer plug. This
is also coming from a sales guy.

The electronics are are literally an electric resistance coil sunk in an
iron plate and a thermostat dial, and a light to indicate when it's at
temp. I'm trying to come up with his any of those would change with the
10hz frequency difference.

The U.S. version is at least cosmetically identical, and literally the only
parts aside from the coil are the thermostat dial and light. The function
is the shape of the iron plate--the rest is just a heating blanket. I
wouldn't want to switch it to 120v U.S.--it would take forever to get up to
temp. and to recover during use.

Does it seem reasonable that I can just swap out the cord? Any thoughts?

Thanks fellas.

Scott

--000000000000bf4a7205eb92fb3f

m in France right now. I&#39;d like to buy what amounts to a hot plate here=
. The company that makes these sells them all over the world. In France (wh=
ere the manufacturer is located) they&#39;re about $300. In the U.S., they&=
#39;re about $900. A huge chunk of that is just how common they are in Fran=
ce and uncommon they are in the U.S.--at home they&#39;re sold through a pa=
the one I&#39;d buy in France has a French plug on it for 230v 50hz supply.=
 The specialty retailer offering it says I can replace the plug with a U.S.=
 220v plug and it&#39;ll work just fine. Either cut it and wire on a dryer =
plug or unscrew the plug in the unit and install a dryer plug. This is also=
">The electronics are are literally an electric resistance coil sunk in an =
iron plate and a thermostat dial, and a light to indicate when it&#39;s at =
temp. I&#39;m trying to come up with his any of those would change with the=
to">The U.S. version is at least cosmetically identical, and literally the =
only parts aside from the coil are the thermostat dial and light. The funct=
ion is the shape of the iron plate--the rest is just a heating blanket. I w=
ouldn&#39;t want to switch it to 120v U.S.--it would take forever to get up=
dir=3D"auto">Does it seem reasonable that I can just swap out the cord? Any=

--000000000000bf4a7205eb92fb3f--

--===============4873099554540403588==

--===============4873099554540403588==--