Re: [Shop-talk] changing times...

To: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] changing times...
From: old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 16:47:49 -0700
Cc: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--000000000000fb016c05dcf66387

I meant to say that the video is much more enjoyable if you zoom it out to
full screen and turn-up the volume loud.  You might find yourself leaning
into the curves (I find myself doing it). :-)

On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 4:44 PM old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Yes, I agree with you completely.
>
> I have a 1972 BSA B50SS that I bought new in '72 when I was a high school
> senior, and when I ride it out on the street now, it draws attention
> because it is seen as an antique (a single cylinder, air cooled, a kick
> starter, it is loud and vibrates, etc.).
>
> Then I realized that my 2001 Sportster is over 21 years old now, and has a
> carburetor and no electronic engine controls, no ABS, and it is seen as an
> ancient and curious artifact.
>
> I also work at a university where the majority of the students now were
> born post 911, and that highly impactful event now is seen as an ancient
> historical moment like WWI or the assination of JFK.
>
> Time moves forward gradually, but then at moments you realize that the
> boots you are wearing  are 25 years old, and older than the person to
> whom you are speaking.
>
> I just had an epiphany when I realized that more time had transpired since
> I graduated from high school than had transpired from the end of WW1 and
> when I had graduated from high school. When I was a HS student, I used to
> think WWI was a century before with biplanes and infantry warfare...
>
> I think it means that we are fortunate to have lived long enough so that
> although much of what we know may no longer be meaningful to subsequent
> generations, it still is meaningful to us.
>
> I am still tearing around on that '72 BSA B50SS, even if twenty-somethings
> do not understand it.  :-)
>
> Here are a couple photos of the "antique":
> https://gopro.com/v/JbB9XPeDdg6kK
> https://gopro.com/v/7a7zwvLy4KD8e
>
> Here is a video of it running up a hill:
> https://gopro.com/v/rDpnZ2GVK1w9E
>
> best,
>
> doug
>
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 3:05 PM David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The other day, I was at my local habitat restore, browsing tools. It's
>> very close to me, I pop in once a week or two, to look.
>> They clearly have gotten the estate of an old car guy, as various bits
>> of old test equipment and speciality automotive tools have been there
>> (when they get a bunch of stuff like that, they tend to parcel it out,
>> instead of putting it all out at once) over the last couple months.
>> The other day, there was a twenty something year old looking at a
>> tachometer/dwell engine analyzer.   he asked if I knew what it was.  I
>> attempted to explain.  I'm pretty sure he had no idea what a
>> distributor was, and the idea of points baffled him.   I'd said old
>> cars had them, he said 'like from the 80s?'.
>>
>> --
>> David Scheidt
>> dmscheidt@gmail.com

--000000000000fb016c05dcf66387

u zoom it out to full screen and turn-up the volume loud.=C2=A0 You might f=
ind yourself leaning into the curves (I find myself doing it). :-)</div><br=
pr 18, 2022 at 4:44 PM old dirtbeard &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dirtbeard@gmail.=
_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204=
SA B50SS that I bought new in &#39;72 when I was a high school senior, and =
when I ride it out on the street now, it draws attention because it is seen=
 as an antique (a single cylinder, air cooled, a kick starter, it is loud a=
001 Sportster is over 21 years old now, and has a carburetor=C2=A0and no el=
ectronic engine controls, no ABS, and it is seen as an ancient and curious =
jority of the students now were born post 911, and that highly impactful ev=
ent now is seen as an ancient historical moment like WWI or the assination =
en at moments you realize that the boots you are wearing=C2=A0 are 25 years=
 old, and older than the person to whom=C2=A0you are speaking.</div><div><b=
r></div><div>I just had an epiphany=C2=A0when I realized that more time had=
 transpired since I graduated from high school than had transpired from the=
 end of WW1 and when I had graduated from high school. When I was a HS stud=
ent, I used to think WWI was a century before with biplanes and infantry wa=
 have lived long enough so that although much of what we know may no longer=
 be meaningful to subsequent generations, it still is meaningful to us.=C2=
B50SS, even if twenty-somethings do not understand it.=C2=A0 :-)</div><div>=
iv><a href=3D"https://gopro.com/v/JbB9XPeDdg6kK"; target=3D"_blank">https://=
7a7zwvLy4KD8e" target=3D"_blank">https://gopro.com/v/7a7zwvLy4KD8e</a><br><=
" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 3:05 PM David Scheidt &lt;<a=
 href=3D"mailto:dmscheidt@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank">dmscheidt@gmail.com<=
/a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0=
px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">T=
he other day, I was at my local habitat restore, browsing tools. It&#39;s<b=
r>
very close to me, I pop in once a week or two, to look.<br>
They clearly have gotten the estate of an old car guy, as various bits<br>
of old test equipment and speciality automotive tools have been there<br>
(when they get a bunch of stuff like that, they tend to parcel it out,<br>
instead of putting it all out at once) over the last couple months.<br>
The other day, there was a twenty something year old looking at a<br>
tachometer/dwell engine analyzer.=C2=A0 =C2=A0he asked if I knew what it wa=
s.=C2=A0 I<br>
attempted to explain.=C2=A0 I&#39;m pretty sure he had no idea what a<br>
distributor was, and the idea of points baffled him.=C2=A0 =C2=A0I&#39;d sa=
id old<br>
cars had them, he said &#39;like from the 80s?&#39;.<br>
-- <br>
David Scheidt<br>
m</a><br>
ox.team.net</a><br>