Re: [Shop-talk] led tubes and short memory

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] led tubes and short memory
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 12:07:20 -0800

--------------GQFKR32ush58JtJbS5pVjku9

Since I was already 'LED curious,' I did a bit of research:

- there are some LED tubes that require a ballast* ('Type A')
- there are some LED tubes that require bypassing of the ballast ('Type B')
- there are some LED tubes that work with ballast or without/bypassing,
with some rewiring* ('Type A+B')

If you want the least (initial) hassle, and have 'fresh' ballasts--they
all fail, eventually--you can plug and play the 'A+B' type with a
ballast then, when the ballast fails you can bypass it, which requires
some rewiring (apparently, you can leave the dead ballast in place).

* Need to check compatibility between tube and ballast.

On 1/10/2022 10:48 AM, Ian McFetridge wrote:
> I used the Feit replacement LED tubes, it sounds like they are
> similar.  Here are the instructions for the Feit, maybe that will help?
> https://www.feit.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/T4815_850_AB_LED_10_MANUAL_051019.pdf
>
> Best,
> Ian
>
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 12:12 PM john niolon <jniolon@att.net> wrote:
>
>     Couple of years ago I bought a box of Utilitech t81636f16-40...4'
>     led tubes...redid all my shop lights and was pleased with them
>     now I want to add some fixtures in another part of shop and my
>     memory has failed... I know I had to rewire fixtures to make them work
>     but can remember what I did and instruction sheet is long gone or
>     lost...
>     Utilititech was a Lowes brand and now discontinued and Utilitech
>     web site is a joke anyone tell me how to wire these bulbs up
>     either with or
>     without ballast..,....seems I remember they were non shunted
>     bulbs...but now sure
>     thanks
>     john

--------------GQFKR32ush58JtJbS5pVjku9

  <head>
  </head>
    Since I was already 'LED curious,' I did a bit of research:<br>
    - there are some LED tubes that require a ballast* ('Type A')<br>
    - there are some LED tubes that require bypassing of the ballast
    ('Type B')<br>
    - there are some LED tubes that work with ballast or
    without/bypassing, with some rewiring* ('Type A+B')<br>
    If you want the least (initial) hassle, and have 'fresh'
    ballasts--they all fail, eventually--you can plug and play the 'A+B'
    type with a ballast then, when the ballast fails you can bypass it,
    which requires some rewiring (apparently, you can leave the dead
    ballast in place). <br>
    * Need to check compatibility between tube and ballast.<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAFnfnRWf8yPRXutUppJa9e-wfmF-KaSYfmrkHe_X-xqdeRwDvA@mail.gmail.com">
        like they are similar.  Here are the instructions for the Feit,
        maybe that will help?<br>
        <a
href="https://www.feit.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/T4815_850_AB_LED_10_MANUAL_051019.pdf";
          moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://www.feit.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/T4815_850_AB_LED_10_MANUAL_051019.pdf</a><br>
          PM john niolon &lt;<a href="mailto:jniolon@att.net";
            moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">jniolon@att.net</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                box of Utilitech t81636f16-40...4' led tubes...redid all
                my shop lights and was pleased with them</font></div>
                in another part of shop and my memory has failed... I
                know I had to rewire fixtures to make them work</font></div>
                instruction sheet is long gone or lost...</font></div>
                now discontinued and Utilitech web site is a joke
                anyone tell me how to wire these bulbs up either with
or</font></div>
                remember they were non shunted bulbs...but now sure</font></div>

--------------GQFKR32ush58JtJbS5pVjku9--

--===============8185626895329952675==

--===============8185626895329952675==--