Re: [Shop-talk] Mower blade orientaaion relative to piston

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Mower blade orientaaion relative to piston
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 05:32:12 -0700

--------------C4A897ABEF124292D71DD26C

All I know is what the 'Knife Stalkers'--they sounded like
Russians--told me. I don't have a scientific explanation, only that I
tore the engine down and found nothing wrong. I do know that small,
basically disposable appliances are built as simply and cheaply as
possible (you can rebuild a Stihl MS170 for about $50). The blade wasn't
broken--I would have spotted that--but a crack could disrupt a magnetic
field somehow. Like I mentioned, the Pertronix in my Healey 100
apparently fires off the cam lobes, with no magnet required to trigger
(what I suspect) is a Hall Effect pickup.

On 5/19/2021 5:07 AM, DAVID MASSEY wrote:
> I would find it mildly surprising if they were triggering off of the
> blade but any motor I've worked on is at least 20 years old.  On those
> motors (a couple Briggs and Scrapiron and a Tecumseh) had the magneto
> in the flywheel on the opposite end.  They will run without the blade
> attached.  Triggering off the blade means that motor is a
> special-purpose model for that application.  The economies of scale
> favor a more generic design.
>
> Dave

  <head>
  </head>
    All I know is what the 'Knife Stalkers'--they sounded like
    Russians--told me. I don't have a scientific explanation, only that
    I tore the engine down and found nothing wrong. I do know that
    small, basically disposable appliances are built as simply and
    cheaply as possible (you can rebuild a Stihl MS170 for about $50).
    The blade wasn't broken--I would have spotted that--but a crack
    could disrupt a magnetic field somehow. Like I mentioned, the
    Pertronix in my Healey 100 apparently fires off the cam lobes, with
    no magnet required to trigger (what I suspect) is a Hall Effect
    pickup.<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:674086163.1251051.1621426055740@mail.yahoo.com">
            were triggering off of the blade but any motor I've worked
            on is at least 20 years old.  On those motors (a couple
            Briggs and Scrapiron and a Tecumseh) had the magneto in the
            flywheel on the opposite end.  They will run without the
            blade attached.  Triggering off the blade means that motor
            is a special-purpose model for that application.  The
            economies of scale favor a more generic design.</font><br>
          style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black"><font
            size="2">-----Original Message-----<br>
                    this before.  I have a Craftsman 21" walk behind and
                    I usually sharpen the blade and do maintenance this
                    month, so I think I will see if the engine will fire
                    with the blade removed for sharpening.</div>
                    be some sensor on the blade, or they are using iron
                    mass of the blade as part of the inductance field to
                    signal the position for coil firing. The aluminum
                    sump of the motor protrudes through the steel deck
                    of the mower, so I suppose it is possible. There is
                    quite an air gap between the blade and the sump of
                    the engine, however.</div>
                    if the mower will fire without the blade attached
                    (if it does, I will not let it run as it is hard to
                    predict what would happen without that flywheel
                    attached to the crankshaft).</div>
                    id="yiv5420248293yqt66682">
                      Tue, May 18, 2021 at 5:35 PM Bob Spidell &lt;<a
                        rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect"
                        ymailto="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";
                        target="_blank"
                        href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";
                        moz-do-not-send="true">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt;
                      wrote:<br clear="none">
                      style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px
                      solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex;">
                        walk-behind that quit running suddenly. I tore
                        the engine down, didn't find anything, then
                        finally took it to a repair shop. They told me
                        the blade had a crack in it that caused the
                        problem; supposedly the blade is part of a
                        timing loop that fires the spark. Sort of makes
                        sense if you think of the blade as a flywheel
                        with a position sensor on it.<br clear="none">
                        Bob<br clear="none">
                          Warrick wrote:<br clear="none">
                            sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0,0,0);">
                            I run Snapper walk behind mowers and have
                            never gave it a thought. I can't see why it
                            would matter. If it did, they would have
                            designed the adapter differently.</div>
                            sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0,0,0);">
                            sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0,0,0);">
                            Brian</div>
                            sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0,0,0);">
                            Nampa, ID</div>
sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0,0,0);"> <br clear="none">
                            <hr style="display:inline-block;width:98%;">

id="yiv5420248293gmail-m_-6852136761353026904divRplyFwdMsg"><font
                                style="font-size:11pt;" face="Calibri,
                                sans-serif" color="#000000"><b>From:</b>
                                Shop-talk <a rel="nofollow noopener
                                  noreferrer" shape="rect"

ymailto="mailto:shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net";
                                  target="_blank"
                                  href="mailto:shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net";

moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net&gt;</a>
                                on behalf of Karl Vacek <a
                                  rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer"
                                  shape="rect"
                                  ymailto="mailto:stearman809@gmail.com";
                                  target="_blank"
                                  href="mailto:stearman809@gmail.com";

moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;stearman809@gmail.com&gt;</a><br
                                  clear="none">
                                <b>Sent:</b> Tuesday, May 18, 2021 3:52
                                PM<br clear="none">
                                <b>To:</b> '<a rel="nofollow noopener
                                  noreferrer" shape="rect"
                                  ymailto="mailto:shop-talk@autox.team.net";
                                  target="_blank"
                                  href="mailto:shop-talk@autox.team.net";

moz-do-not-send="true">shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>'
                                <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer"
                                  shape="rect"
                                  ymailto="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";
                                  target="_blank"
                                  href="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";

moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;Shop-talk@autox.team.net&gt;</a><br
                                  clear="none">
                                <b>Subject:</b> [Shop-talk] Mower blade
                                orientaaion relative to piston</font>
                                  0.0001pt;font-size:11pt;font-family:Calibri,
                                  sans-serif;"> Last time I sharpened my
                                  21â?? walk-behind mower blade I thought
                                  of something thatâ??s never occurred to
                                  me, after using the same brand of
                                  mower for 25 years..</div>
                                  0.0001pt;font-size:11pt;font-family:Calibri,
                                  sans-serif;">  </div>
                                  0.0001pt;font-size:11pt;font-family:Calibri,
                                  sans-serif;"> On a Snapper, the blade
                                  can actually go on any way onto the
                                  square adapter keyed to the
                                  crankshaft.  The mounting point is
                                  square, no pins, no longer side,
                                  nothing.</div>
                                  0.0001pt;font-size:11pt;font-family:Calibri,
                                  sans-serif;">  </div>
                                  0.0001pt;font-size:11pt;font-family:Calibri,
                                  sans-serif;"> One way would be aligned
                                  with the cylinder at TDC/BDC, and the
                                  other way would be across.  Itâ??s been
                                  off many times and thereâ??s no way to
                                  tell how it was mounted originally.
                                  The manual is silent on this.</div>
                                  0.0001pt;font-size:11pt;font-family:Calibri,
                                  sans-serif;">  </div>
                                  0.0001pt;font-size:11pt;font-family:Calibri,
                                  sans-serif;"> Power stroke shouldnâ??t
                                  matter, but maybe some dynamic issue
                                  one way or the other?</div>
                                  0.0001pt;font-size:11pt;font-family:Calibri,
                                  sans-serif;">  </div>
                                  0.0001pt;font-size:11pt;font-family:Calibri,
                                  sans-serif;"> Thanks!<br clear="none">
                                  Karl</div>
                      _______________________________________________<br
                        clear="none">
                      <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect"
                        ymailto="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";
                        target="_blank"
                        href="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";
                        moz-do-not-send="true">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a><br
                        clear="none">
                      Donate: <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer"
                        shape="rect" target="_blank"
                        href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";

moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br
                        clear="none">
                      Suggested annual donation  $12.96<br clear="none">
                      Archive: <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer"
                        shape="rect" target="_blank"
                        href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk";

moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>
                      <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect"
                        target="_blank"
                        href="http://autox.team.net/archive";

moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br
                        clear="none">
                      Unsubscribe/Manage: <a rel="nofollow noopener
                        noreferrer" shape="rect" target="_blank"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/dirtbeard@gmail.com";

moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/dirtbeard@gmail.com</a><br
                        clear="none">
id="yqt16240">_______________________________________________<br
                clear="none">
              <a shape="rect" ymailto="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";
                href="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";
                moz-do-not-send="true">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a><br
                clear="none">
              Donate: <a shape="rect"
                href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"; target="_blank"
                moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br
                clear="none">
              Suggested annual donation  $12.96<br clear="none">
              Archive: <a shape="rect"
                href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk";
                target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk