[Shop-talk] Testing a 75 year-old compressor

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Testing a 75 year-old compressor
From: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 19:54:08 -0500

--0000000000003a0a1105c05ce4e6

Fellas,

My compressor search ended on a Westinghouse Air Brake Co (WABCO)
compressor originally built in 1945. It's a 1AYC, two-stage v-twin. It's
amazingly quiet and will make more pressure than the gauge, which only goes
to 100 psi. It takes a while to get there, it seems, but that could just be
because it's got a big tank.

I'd like this thing to last the rest of my life, and if it made it this far
there's no reason it shouldn't. Is there any way I can perform something
like a leakdown test? Or any other diagnostics to see if a rebuild is in
order? My plan now is to install another pressure gauge and see what it
tops out at. I can unscrew the plugs in the tank side and shine a light in
there, but the tank itself seems to be made of 3/8"-think steel. These guys
were not fooling around.

The electric motor also seems to be original. Any advice for caring for
that? It looks like it has an oil port.

Everything online points to where you can get parts. Nothing on how to
actually maintain it. I think I can request its original service manual,
but I won't know until they call me back tomorrow.

Thanks.

Scott

#39;s a 1AYC, two-stage v-twin. It&#39;s amazingly quiet and will make more=
 pressure than the gauge, which only goes to 100 psi. It takes a while to g=
et there, it seems, but that could just be because it&#39;s got a big tank.=
fe, and if it made it this far there&#39;s no reason it shouldn&#39;t. Is t=
here any way I can perform something like a leakdown test? Or any other dia=
gnostics to see if a rebuild is in order? My plan now is to install another=
 pressure gauge and see what it tops out at. I can unscrew the plugs in the=
 tank side and shine a light in there, but the tank itself seems to be made=
 of 3/8&quot;-think steel. These guys were not fooling around.</div><div><b=
r></div><div>The electric motor also seems to be original. Any advice for c=

--===============0562795071861616029==

--===============0562795071861616029==--