Re: [Shop-talk] Cutting holes in small project box

To: Lee Daniels <lee@automate-it.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cutting holes in small project box
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 19:33:04 -0700
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=dk12062016; d=earthlink.net; b=i4rvhu1P/HvKswLZDnk4VYgLgFNq70A3KmdIH1wJCVfHVmRIdyhRD8SPHytMH8r/tt2wvRXNWWjJg29bDPM0PRFq98rQZwDziaJ6oybl/wtK3ET54e4OeTALFevditG6Sl3df40Xbi1GGGt7tG5T59ifL4cJC3IvO10SnehfmLfFz0Kjm2xBMN39g9tQY0X1VAE3u2vo1cwxUZ3aAfcRXSjAZHmqvKSepu07j535qVs1hKcbZUChSJxO+ekq7WgU440M5dMEfuBh0BiQXiCEBmOUJA1VUa0atZ+WymwyX84RgLYW40YUgbt9k9sqYH7Z6+ivFcvsFYsVHK3rL7NbFw==; h=Received:Subject:To:References:From:Message-ID:Date:User-Agent:MIME-Version:In-Reply-To:Content-Type:Content-Language:X-ELNK-Trace:X-Originating-IP;

--------------0B7938641C245043650666ED

Lee,

For the round holes, I'd use a sharp drill bit at medium speed and go
slow.  For the cleanest hole, start with a small one about 1/8" and move
up in small steps until you get the size you want.  If you have a
stepped drill bit like a unibit, it should work great.  One with smaller
steps will give the cleanest opening.  Here is a sample:

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-titanium-nitride-coated-high-speed-steel-step-drills-96275.html
or with Coupon 18288307 it drops to $13.99
https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-titanium-nitride-coated-high-speed-steel-step-drills-96275.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMTgyODgzMDciLCJza3UiOiI5NjI3NSIsImlzIjoiMTMuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk%0D%0AIjoiMzQ0NiJ9%0D%0A&cid=newgetcpns090120

For the rectangle hole, if in metal, use a nibbler like
https://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-RadioShack%C2%AE-HT-204-Nibbling-Tool/dp/B007Z7PY48/
Drill a round hole first then trim it to size.  I have not tried the
nibbler on plastic.  I'd expect it to crack.

I've also used a small cutoff wheel in a Dremel at slow speed.  It will
cut/melt plastic, so go a little small then clean it up with a file.
Drill small corner holes for the neatest opening.

Depending on the wire holes and if things are moving around, you may
want to look at a strain relief grommet.  Another option is to use some
ring connectors for the incoming wires and screw them to the standoff
mounts inside the box then run a connecting wire to the next step so
there is no strain on the switch or other components.

Good luck,

Brian

On 9/9/2020 12:51 PM, Lee Daniels wrote:
> I need to cut a couple of holes in a rather small electronic project box (This
> one: https://amz.run/3YjE ) - but I'm not sure how to make nice "pretty" holes
> in this. It has both a plastic and metal covers, either one works for me, but
> I'll have wires through the plastic side. How does one cut a nice hole in a
> box like this? Ideally I'll have round holes for wiring and at least one small
> rectangle for a switch. See photo. Any suggestions appreciated!
>   - Lee

--------------0B7938641C245043650666ED

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
    Lee,<br>
    For the round holes, I'd use a sharp drill bit at medium speed and
    go slow.  For the cleanest hole, start with a small one about 1/8"
    and move up in small steps until you get the size you want.  If you
    have a stepped drill bit like a unibit, it should work great.  One
    with smaller steps will give the cleanest opening.  Here is a
    sample:<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-titanium-nitride-coated-high-speed-steel-step-drills-96275.html";>https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-titanium-nitride-coated-high-speed-steel-step-drills-96275.html</a><br>
    or with Coupon 18288307 it drops to $13.99<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-titanium-nitride-coated-high-speed-steel-step-drills-96275.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMTgyODgzMDciLCJza3UiOiI5NjI3NSIsImlzIjoiMTMuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk%0D%0AIjoiMzQ0NiJ9%0D%0A&amp;cid=newgetcpns090120";>https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-titanium-nitride-coated-high-speed-steel-step-drills-96275.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMTgyODgzMDciLCJza3UiOiI5NjI3NSIsImlzIjoiMTMuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk%0D%0AIjoiMzQ0NiJ9%0D%0A&amp;cid=newgetcpns090120</a><br>
    For the rectangle hole, if in metal, use a nibbler like <br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-RadioShack%C2%AE-HT-204-Nibbling-Tool/dp/B007Z7PY48/";>https://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-RadioShack%C2%AE-HT-204-Nibbling-Tool/dp/B007Z7PY48/</a><br>
    Drill a round hole first then trim it to size.  I have not tried the
    nibbler on plastic.  I'd expect it to crack.<br>
    I've also used a small cutoff wheel in a Dremel at slow speed.  It
    will cut/melt plastic, so go a little small then clean it up with a
    file.  Drill small corner holes for the neatest opening.<br>
    Depending on the wire holes and if things are moving around, you may
    want to look at a strain relief grommet.  Another option is to use
    some ring connectors for the incoming wires and screw them to the
    standoff mounts inside the box then run a connecting wire to the
    next step so there is no strain on the switch or other components.<br>
    Good luck,<br>
    Brian<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:022f9ff946a6505861089a2cd79bae32.squirrel@automate-it.com">
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">I need to cut a couple of holes in a
rather small electronic project box (This
one: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://amz.run/3YjE";>https://amz.run/3YjE</a> ) - but I'm not sure how
to make nice "pretty" holes
in this. It has both a plastic and metal covers, either one works for me, but
I'll have wires through the plastic side. How does one cut a nice hole in a
box like this? Ideally I'll have round holes for wiring and at least one small
rectangle for a switch. See photo. Any suggestions appreciated!
 - Lee</pre>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";>Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>