Re: [Shop-talk] question marks

To: markmiller@threeboysfarm.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] question marks
From: Brian Kemp via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 13:18:50 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=dk12062016; d=earthlink.net; b=rSYf5nbwKOD8HIDqWV5xeflh1BUQY9WGZ9S5Ku0TRg3gElfOpzEfCgqHXDU4JBTEb2XNxYhPPcz1sEISmE1o8MNjrPZQSgrIHrIP4N/VxD4bIGjoUS2CzQIzVe9t0XKMiHDhiWLc5AiWGAlK7QXyDIYCwBzFhfOhTQlKgLZ8JWXK4y1pS/9QGLtbVgftNnNOTD3byKgcGvb81TtfLRE/xBIp9NPKQn0uuOUHcejQWD4G1hFbuBBEdb4ZbpoqC0s9OBc23oYgwGpnbQ7VUdd4UXyQPITvt4p25139wHvf0OnXcdrYziFQKjzW3wfA4pZGcK35vsh6rY/oT5De58VpZw==; h=Date:From:Reply-To:To:Cc:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Mailer:X-ELNK-Trace:X-Originating-IP;
Mark - I'm not seeing any question marks.  If you are, try either a different
way of looking at your e-mail (try looking at webmain for example) or seeing if
you have the default encoding to change to simplified plain text.  Perhaps you
use plain text because it is far safer.

The question marks most likely indicate a character that isn't simple text.
Examples might be smart quotes that tilt in different directions at the
start/end the quote, or special hyphens (instead of the simple minus sign).
The may also show up at the end of sentences where double spaces are used.
Look at one of the offending e-mails and see if the question marks happen
instead of possible punctuation or line breaks/returns.  I get this at work
when sending from a Linux system that does everything in plain text to a
Windows system.

I wouldn't be concerned about it with the list if the above explanation seems
to fit.

Brian