Re: [Shop-talk] Trailer clean-up and paint

To: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>, "Shop-Talk List" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Trailer clean-up and paint
From: Karl Vacek via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 13:23:57 -0500
--===============3253616961254209824==

------------171ffd4554e7ba428bfd56925f

I've used RustOleum Rust Reformer for years with excellent results.  It
applies milky white but clears as it dries and turns the rust black.  On
some old unused, rusty patio furniture I applied the Rust Reformer with no
other preparation and then left it outside with no paint for several years.
 Never rusted again.
Karl

On May 10, 2020 12:37:42 PM Ronnie Day via Shop-talk
<shop-talk@autox.team.net> wrote:
> I'm cleaning up and rebuilding a locally built, wood decked utility
> trailer. Typical angle iron/tube frame construction. The original paint is
> worn, a lot, and there's considerable surface rust. I took it to the
> quarter car wash and cleaned it up as best I could.
>
> I'm not inclined to have the whole thing media blasted so the plan is,
> doing a section at a time, to use wire brushes and a detail sander to
> remove as much of the loose paint as I can, and then hit that area with
> rattle can primer/paint to "seal/convert" the rust I can't get off, then
> move to the next section.
>
> Realizing there are products out there that supposedly work like magic,
> what actually does a decent job? I'm looking for durability and protection,
> not a car show finish.
>
> RD

------------171ffd4554e7ba428bfd56925f

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.=
w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
t results.&nbsp; It applies milky white but clears as it dries and turns th=
e rust black.&nbsp; On some old unused, rusty patio furniture I applied the=
 Rust Reformer with no other preparation and then left it outside with no p=
aint for several years.&nbsp; Never rusted again.</div><div dir=3D"auto">Ka=
<!-- body start -->
 8pt 0;">On May 10, 2020 12:37:42 PM Ronnie Day via Shop-talk &lt;shop-talk=
@autox.team.net&gt; wrote:</p>
ex; border-left: 1px solid #808080; padding-left: 0.75ex;">
d utility trailer. Typical angle iron/tube frame construction. The original=
 paint is worn, a lot, and there's considerable surface rust. I took it to =
I'm not inclined to have the whole thing media blasted so the plan is, doin=
g a section at a time, to use wire brushes and a detail sander to remove as=
 much of the loose paint as I can, and then hit that area with rattle can p=
rimer/paint to "seal/convert" the rust I can't get off, then move to the ne=
 that supposedly work like magic, what actually does a decent job? I'm look=

x.team.net">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a></div>
.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a></div>
m.net/pipermail/shop-talk">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a c=
lass=3D"aqm-autolink aqm-autowrap" href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive";>h=