Re: [Shop-talk] Extension cord length vs. wire gauge

To: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>, "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Extension cord length vs. wire gauge
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 14:54:41 -0700
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=dk12062016; d=earthlink.net; b=dCJ3bHifsEag2Vy1LN0jybbMsDng+4YSo76KLg8HMKHXiB/7NfuSEVH9UgbqWwffOcxyrQtbV2mNWi7HbZf7TvsDstFE1yILgYtAR7HvD2xI4fQtiM9iWrZyFiS36uyo4ZBYbXLzWkabzQLo4/YIK8AQw/1P18/sJHm8g53OyJKYMkwQNGyNgjnIAqdcORNhT1zEdO56R1K1FEEF66LeW7Pmjjp2crFansTlX7dgTAPAG/VVlfLdkSZBdExOTjo/OkT8GILMkmimQmVYAMpYkfcQV2eglTVW9i1jtGZRS7EErZO+e2Llt7B7iz05TUidDVC4CDlOrje2G2QNnbHOgg==; h=Received:Subject:To:References:From:Message-ID:Date:User-Agent:MIME-Version:In-Reply-To:Content-Type:Content-Language:X-ELNK-Trace:X-Originating-IP;

--------------BD914EEA3AD1E62189A552C7

Scott - Understand your situation.  I live in the smallest cheapest
house that was also a foreclosure on a nice street in an upscale area.
I make it a point to at least keep the street part of the lot fair.  All
my neighbors "have people" to maintain their property.

Have you thought about adding an outlet near the shrubbery?  If it is
all generally in one area, that might make it easier to get away with a
single extension cord.  With this option, you likely get the option of
renting a trencher.  If for some reason you want to dig the trench
yourself, trenching shovels are much nicer because the trench is
narrower than a regular shovel.  As an added bonus, you would then have
an outside outlet in that area of the property for other uses.

You've had a mixture of responses, so yes, you could just try it.  I
have a bunch of trees and bought the HF electric pole chain saw (great
product, especially for about $65).  I didn't want to be bothered with
batteries on a product I only use a few times a year. Near the house I
use a 100' 14 gauge extension cord.  Further away, I use a 12 gauge 100'
cord from the house then the 14 gauge to the saw.  This works fine.  I
don't notice the saw slowing down. Anything further and it is the manual
pole saw.

My parents switched from an electric hedge trimmer to a battery one the
second time my mom cut the bright orange cord.  It worked for them as
long as they could work, then they took a break for the battery to
charge.  I used it briefly and it seemed comparable to my better
electric one for the short use.

You could also look at a gas string trimmer type tool that lets you swap
the trimmer and use the power head for a hedge trimmer attachment.  I'm
on my third gas string trimmer and the current Echo one is far superior
to the Homelite and Ryobi ones I had first.  The disadvantage to this
setup is the hedge trimmer will be much heavier.

Your other option it to "have people" come in a few times a year to do
the trimming.  I did this for brush clearing my first two years on the
property and will do it again shortly for bigger stuff that doesn't fit
in my 4" wood chipper.  As a bonus, the wife is happy when the "people"
come in for the big stuff that I'm slow to get done.

Brian

On 10/31/2018 9:48 AM, Scott Hall wrote:
> [...]
>
> But anyway, I need a f*ck#ng hedge trimmer for these hedges and some
> sort of cover plant that I like along the driveway. He called it
> honeysuckle.
>
> I dislike the idea of even owning a *hedge trimmer* enough that I
> don't want to spend any coin on it. I'd buy the gas version and slap
> an expansion chamber on it and get my rocks off that way, but (also
> problematic for me) the grown up in my head is noting that might be a
> pointless waste of money. These things need to be cut twice a year,
> max, I'd bet...and I don't envision myself becoming the sort of person
> that schools sculpts and topiary.
>
> Anyway, thanks for the suggestion Eric. I'll see if I can get a hedge
> trimmer for that setup.
>
> Convince me about battery life. I swore off cordless tools after going
> all-in on Milwaukee 18v kit twenty years ago and having the batteries
> last a few months each. I have this whole ecosystem of useless tools
> because I got tired of spending $60 a pop for new packs. On sale.
>
> How long are those lasting you? How frequently do you charge them? Can
> they sit for months and still hold a charge when used again or do I
> have to baby them?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott
>
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2018, 12:11 PM <eric@megageek.com
>
>     OK, I hate to be 'that guy' but have you looked at this...
>

> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBVCQ4W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>

>     A little pricey, BUT it is an excuse to buy a tool, AND you can
>     use it for a lot of other things.  I have this model and I run a
>     firewood farm.  My jaw dropped the first time I use this thing.
>
>     It is a beast, the batteries do last long.  The kerf is very
>     narrow, so I think that is why the performance is so great.
>
>     Arguments for...
>
>     -It's way safer than a gas powered unit
>     -You do not need to worry about extension cords (if you are making
>     this augment to an SO, also add "Honey, if I accidentally nick the
>     wire with the chainsaw, I might get electrocuted.  You don't want
>     that, do you?)*
>     -Instead of being 'ashamed' of the electric saw, you get to
>     proclaim this awesomeness
>     -the batteries are compatible with other Dewalt items, SO there is
>     possible more tool goodness to come.
>     -Did I mention bragging rights?
>     -You can even use to it trim wood to use in projects, like if you
>     make bowls, carvings or pens on a lathe (I do use this for it.)
>     -You can use it inside if you need to do demo/home repair
>     -It's Dewalt, so that is cool
>
>     Just some food for thought.
>
>     *= I'm a 47 year old bachelor.  I do not know anything about long
>     term marriages,so this may not work.  YMMV.
>

>     Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
>     Tech Viper
>     "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a
>     rational being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your

  <head>
  </head>
    Scott - Understand your situation.  I live in the smallest cheapest
    house that was also a foreclosure on a nice street in an upscale
    area.  I make it a point to at least keep the street part of the lot
    fair.  All my neighbors "have people" to maintain their property.<br>
    Have you thought about adding an outlet near the shrubbery?  If it
    is all generally in one area, that might make it easier to get away
    with a single extension cord.  With this option, you likely get the
    option of renting a trencher.  If for some reason you want to dig
    the trench yourself, trenching shovels are much nicer because the
    trench is narrower than a regular shovel.  As an added bonus, you
    would then have an outside outlet in that area of the property for
    other uses.<br>
    You've had a mixture of responses, so yes, you could just try it.  I
    have a bunch of trees and bought the HF electric pole chain saw
    (great product, especially for about $65).  I didn't want to be
    bothered with batteries on a product I only use a few times a year.
    Near the house I use a 100' 14 gauge extension cord.  Further away,
    I use a 12 gauge 100' cord from the house then the 14 gauge to the
    saw.  This works fine.  I don't notice the saw slowing down.
    Anything further and it is the manual pole saw.<br>
    My parents switched from an electric hedge trimmer to a battery one
    the second time my mom cut the bright orange cord.  It worked for
    them as long as they could work, then they took a break for the
    battery to charge.  I used it briefly and it seemed comparable to my
    better electric one for the short use.<br>
    You could also look at a gas string trimmer type tool that lets you
    swap the trimmer and use the power head for a hedge trimmer
    attachment.  I'm on my third gas string trimmer and the current Echo
    one is far superior to the Homelite and Ryobi ones I had first.  The
    disadvantage to this setup is the hedge trimmer will be much
    heavier.<br>
    Your other option it to "have people" come in a few times a year to
    do the trimming.  I did this for brush clearing my first two years
    on the property and will do it again shortly for bigger stuff that
    doesn't fit in my 4" wood chipper.  As a bonus, the wife is happy
    when the "people" come in for the big stuff that I'm slow to get
    done.<br>
    Brian<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAK73_u5uGZ4nY7_oNzdsimXARiLc4pOK5ar_wLjh9jbSOqCpDQ@mail.gmail.com">
          hedges.</div>
          a nice house and I like it. In a neighborhood. A nice one.
          With neighbors. Kinda rich ones, with yard people that keep
          their yards looking _very_ nice. </div>
          the idea that I own a house with shrubs that need to be
          maintained. I mean, I saw them when I looked at the house,
          butt I guess it didn't register. And as much as anything else,
          I don't want the neighbors to think I'm bringing down their
          neighborhood. I already bought this as a foreclosure and
          they're all kind of acting like I saved that end of the street
          from an ogre.</div>
          to race motorcycles all weekend. People that "have people"
          make my ass twitch a little bit. I got a guy for stuff back
          home--they have...staff. One guy's watch cost more than my
          house, I think. I'm not sure I belong here, no matter how much
          money I make. I don't want to own any "hedges". At least not
          the plant kind. </div>
          to be a good neighbor, and they're nice folks and probably
          don't deserve me bringing down their property values. And how
          much this is getting to me is ALSO getting to me.</div>
          these hedges and some sort of cover plant that I like along
          the driveway. He called it honeysuckle.</div>
          trimmer* enough that I don't want to spend any coin on it. I'd
          buy the gas version and slap an expansion chamber on it and
          get my rocks off that way, but (also problematic for me) the
          grown up in my head is noting that might be a pointless waste
          of money. These things need to be cut twice a year, max, I'd
          bet...and I don't envision myself becoming the sort of person
          that schools sculpts and topiary.</div>
          if I can get a hedge trimmer for that setup.</div>
          cordless tools after going all-in on Milwaukee 18v kit twenty
          years ago and having the batteries last a few months each. I
          have this whole ecosystem of useless tools because I got tired
          of spending <span class="money">$60</span> a pop for new
          packs. On sale.</div>
          do you charge them? Can they sit for months and still hold a
          charge when used again or do I have to baby them?</div>
            href="mailto:eric@megageek.com";
moz-do-not-send="true">eric@megageek.com</a>
          wrote:<br>
          .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><font
            size="2" face="sans-serif">OK, I hate to be 'that guy' but
            have you
            looked at this...</font>
          <a
href="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBVCQ4W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&amp;psc=1";
            target="_blank" rel="noreferrer" moz-do-not-send="true"><font
              size="2" face="sans-serif"
color="blue">https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBVCQ4W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&amp;psc=1</font></a>
            excuse
            to buy a tool, AND you can use it for a lot of other
            things.  I have
            this model and I run a firewood farm.  My jaw dropped the
            first time
            I use this thing.</font>
            do last
            long.  The kerf is very narrow, so I think that is why the
            performance
            is so great.</font>
            powered unit</font>
            about extension
            cords (if you are making this augment to an SO, also add
            "Honey, if
            I accidentally nick the wire with the chainsaw, I might get
            electrocuted.
             You don't want that, do you?)*</font>
            of the electric
            saw, you get to proclaim this awesomeness</font>
            with other
            Dewalt items, SO there is possible more tool goodness to
            come.</font>
            rights?</font>
            wood to
            use in projects, like if you make bowls, carvings or pens on
            a lathe (I
            do use this for it.)</font>
            need to
            do demo/home repair</font>
            bachelor.  I
            do not know anything about long term marriages,so this may
            not work.  YMMV.</font>
            Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
            Tech Viper<br>
            "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights
            as a rational
            being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your
            territory." Ralph
            Waldo Emerson
            rel="noreferrer"
moz-do-not-send="true">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a><br>
          Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
            rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
          Suggested annual donation  $12.96<br>
          Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk";
            rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"

moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a><br>
          Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/scott.hall.personal@gmail.com";
            rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"

moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/scott.hall.personal@gmail.com</a><br>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";>Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>
href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>