Re: [Shop-talk] Repairing/re-attaching coax line

To: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>, "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Repairing/re-attaching coax line
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2018 11:31:50 -0700
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=dk12062016; d=earthlink.net; b=GpUxRnf8hf9uXjQ+9iQ6j6kgQieqPhAAIRmEfsGZxkWm6o+D+8BVpTJXzTqY4fu2S1w3/347+mqnoLflpWkDTZyexMIEaoI+DAkRQjvQR5KaXeVsHpbGnwkfsaMchWxZOeuj8TsqWPiRv/B0s06pQPAaf+XQmPc8tz4voTCdFaR28ZI6rYC/zKExneH3H813sOZdibFumaQLZn6igl4+3BNnz73DdHcvalasnR49tISVU7Z7X7RUsuqwvgWAQ5zE4TRrI7+bXkIwKcTwTeQwtwxA1o5lQ8n+OInLZZwZVmzc4lhBzaEg6YvMTdReVEhRA0dD9a41cGrTT2iR+oLpnA==; h=Received:Subject:To:References:From:Message-ID:Date:User-Agent:MIME-Version:In-Reply-To:Content-Type:Content-Language:X-ELNK-Trace:X-Originating-IP;

--------------F875EFA6EFA9BACF1FB2EEFF

Sure.  Note that the connectors the cable company uses will likely be
better quality than what you might find at the local store.  I'd say you
can get by, at least short term doing it yourself.  Take your time and
follow the directions carefully.  Make sure you don't have any of the
grounding sheath touching the center conductor.

You may want to follow-up with the cable company when things return to
normal for them to install a high quality weather resistant connector.

There is the possibility that the tree falling stretched the cable and
broke the center conductor.  I'd also look closely at the part the
broken end attached to for any signs of it stretching.

Brian

On 10/21/2018 9:51 AM, Scott Hall wrote:
> Guys, not particularly shop related, but I trust you guys more than
> Google.
>
> Hurricane Michael knocked over a tree at the house. That tree ripped
> the overhead Concast coax line running to the house. It looks exactly
> like you'd think it would--ripped apart on one end.
>
> The other end has a connector on it. Looks like the push version of
> what you connect to the t.v. box in the house
>
> Can I trim the ends and install a new connector on the ripped-off end
> and connect them? If so, anything I find on Google will do?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott

--------------F875EFA6EFA9BACF1FB2EEFF

  <head>
  </head>
    Sure.  Note that the connectors the cable company uses will likely
    be better quality than what you might find at the local store.  I'd
    say you can get by, at least short term doing it yourself.  Take
    your time and follow the directions carefully.  Make sure you don't
    have any of the grounding sheath touching the center conductor.<br>
    You may want to follow-up with the cable company when things return
    to normal for them to install a high quality weather resistant
    connector.<br>
    There is the possibility that the tree falling stretched the cable
    and broke the center conductor.  I'd also look closely at the part
    the broken end attached to for any signs of it stretching.<br>
    Brian<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAK73_u4_99msoDw1HFQKsHCxhiR7a2vofsnfy5NwcotCrqsgTA@mail.gmail.com">
        you guys more than Google.
          house. That tree ripped the overhead Concast coax line running
          to the house. It looks exactly like you'd think it
          would--ripped apart on one end.</div>
          the push version of what you connect to the t.v. box in the
          house </div>
          on the ripped-off end and connect them? If so, anything I find
          on Google will do?</div>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";>Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>
href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>