Re: [Shop-talk] Air Impact Wrenches - how much torque?

To: bk13@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Air Impact Wrenches - how much torque?
From: old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2018 13:45:23 -0700
Cc: shop-talk@autox.team.net

--0000000000001caaa10577a99cab

HI Brian,

I know it is more that you want to spend, but I have a IR Titanium--very
light and very powerful:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_dp_s_web_0?ie=UTF8&search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Ingersoll+Rand

You can dial it back so that it will not over-power anything.

Your compressor will be fine as you will be running off the tank, not the
pump, unless you run the tank pressure to below 80 psi, or whatever you set
your regulator to.

On Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 12:46 PM Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I'm shopping for a new air impact wrench and wondered how much torque I
> might need.  I'm replacing a Harbor Freight one that claims 250 ft-lbs,
> but can't break hand torqued wheel lugs.  If I need to undo a TR6 crank
> bolt again, I'll borrow a bigger impact wrench or just use a breaker bar
> like last time.
>
> The primary use will be wheel lugs.  Occasional use will be brake jobs
> and related car work.
>
> Per the sticker on the compressor specs are 5.5 SCFM at 90psi, 5HP, 26
> gal, 135psi max.  This is Husky Pro about 15 years old, so I recognize
> the HP rating is likely optimistic.  The motor requirement is 15A @
> 120V, which would indicate a more realistic HP rating in the 2HP range.
>
> I'm not after continuous duty.  At most, it would be 5 wheel lugs then a
> break.
>
> I'm thinking the 1000 ft-lb models are overkill and could potentially do
> damage snapping an old TR6 or GT6 bolt.  I'd rather have the tool not
> take off the nut/bolt than snap it.
>
> The new Husky ones at Home Depot look nice, but I don't see any feedback
> on the 800 ft-lb model and only one on the 650 ft-lb model.  If I do go
> bigger, Lowes has a nice 1000 ft-lb model with a 95% recommended rating.
>
> Any feedback is appreciated.  Since this isn't really necessary, I'm
> looking at about the $100 range.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian

--0000000000001caaa10577a99cab

 more that you want to spend, but I have a IR Titanium--very light and very=
 powerful:</div><div><a href=3D"https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=3Dbl_dp_s_web_=
0?ie=3DUTF8&amp;search-alias=3Daps&amp;field-keywords=3DIngersoll+Rand">htt=
ps://www.amazon.com/s/ref=3Dbl_dp_s_web_0?ie=3DUTF8&amp;search-alias=3Daps&=
 the pump, unless you run the tank pressure to below 80 psi, or whatever yo=
gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr">On Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 12:46 PM Brian Kemp &l=
t;<a href=3D"mailto:bk13@earthlink.net";>bk13@earthlink.net</a>&gt; wrote:<b=
r></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border=
-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">I&#39;m shopping for a new air impac=
t wrench and wondered how much torque I <br>
might need.=C2=A0 I&#39;m replacing a Harbor Freight one that claims 250 ft=
-lbs, <br>
but can&#39;t break hand torqued wheel lugs.=C2=A0 If I need to undo a TR6 =
crank <br>
bolt again, I&#39;ll borrow a bigger impact wrench or just use a breaker ba=
r <br>
like last time.<br>
The primary use will be wheel lugs.=C2=A0 Occasional use will be brake jobs=
and related car work.<br>
Per the sticker on the compressor specs are 5.5 SCFM at 90psi, 5HP, 26 <br>
gal, 135psi max.=C2=A0 This is Husky Pro about 15 years old, so I recognize=
the HP rating is likely optimistic.=C2=A0 The motor requirement is 15A @ <b=
r>
120V, which would indicate a more realistic HP rating in the 2HP range.<br>
I&#39;m not after continuous duty.=C2=A0 At most, it would be 5 wheel lugs =
then a <br>
break.<br>
I&#39;m thinking the 1000 ft-lb models are overkill and could potentially d=
o <br>
damage snapping an old TR6 or GT6 bolt.=C2=A0 I&#39;d rather have the tool =
not <br>
take off the nut/bolt than snap it.<br>
The new Husky ones at Home Depot look nice, but I don&#39;t see any feedbac=
k <br>
on the 800 ft-lb model and only one on the 650 ft-lb model.=C2=A0 If I do g=
o <br>
bigger, Lowes has a nice 1000 ft-lb model with a 95% recommended rating.<br=

Any feedback is appreciated.=C2=A0 Since this isn&#39;t really necessary, I=
&#39;m <br>
looking at about the $100 range.<br>
Thanks,<br>
Brian<br>