[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [Shop-talk] Lawn sprinkler

To: 'Jimmie Mayfield' <>,
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Lawn sprinkler
From: Pat Horne <>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2016 13:50:28 -0500
References: <> <>
Thread-index: AdH1gZM4A3LguAISTJa2jJky6lC+7AAESFwA

I totally agree with Jimmie, but would go a bit further. 

Don't forget to add extra wires for the extra valves, plus one or so if the
wires get damaged you don't have to dig up the yard to repair it, just move
to a different wire.

Depending on the price of the controller, I would also add enough control
zones to handle the extra valves. Some controllers have the ability to add
more zones on later, which would be an alternative.

Also, no matter who installs the system, take photos of the pipes and wires
so if there is a need to find them you will have a better idea of where they

I have drip tapes around my trees and in the garden and they work great.
There is no spraying water into the air where some will evaporate and puts
it all on the roots.


-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk [] On Behalf Of
Jimmie Mayfield
Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2016 11:24 AM
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Lawn sprinkler

Are you contracting someone to install or doing it yourself?  If 
contracting, your installer most likely already has a particular 
brand/model that (s)he tends to work with so you'll need to talk to them 
about what they plan to use.

My sprinkler system consists of 5 zones of rotors (Rainbird 3500 and 
5000) for the lawn areas and 2 zones of a mixture of drip and 
microsprayers for the landscaping and garden areas.  Whatever you 
choose, I strongly recommend you plan for future expansion.  So install 
an extra valve or two in each valve box.  Extra valves are trivial to 
add to your manifolds when everything is dug up but it's a devil to add 
a valve to an existing box once everything is closed-up and buried.  
Worst case is the extra valves never get used.

For your main sprinklers, you pretty much have 3 choices: rotors, impact 
rotors or sprayers.  Sprayers are the moving parts...and 
you can buy spray heads for various patterns.  But for a given GPM and 
PSI, they have lower coverage area than rotors so you'll need 
comparatively more zones if you use sprayers.  They're useful if you 
have an odd-shaped rectangular area or if you want to spray your 
shrubbery from afar.  Rotors and impact rotors shoot a stream (some 
shoot multiple streams) in a circular pattern.  So they can cover a much 
greater area for a given PSI and GPM. Impact rotors have pretty high GPM 
requirements, though, so unless you upgrade your water supply line, 
chance are you don't have enough GPM available to drive more than a 
couple per zone.  That's why most residential homes use non-impact 
rotors.  Non-impact rotors are also silent so your neighbors might thank 
you for that. install a drip system for your landscaping.  Note that drip 
tubing is not the same as the rubber soaker hose that you buy at box 
stores (that stuff is crap).  Drip tubing and drip emitters are 
generally pressure-compensating so emitters near the end of a run are 
guaranteed to output the same amount of water as emitters near the start 
of the run.


On 08/13/2016 09:31 AM, Robert nogueira wrote:
> I'm planning on having a lawn sprinkler system installed. I've noted that
there are several types of sprinkler heads and would like some input on
which type is the best. Any opinions?
> Bob Nogueira
> Bob Nogueira
> _______________________________________________
> Donate:
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive:
> Forums:
> Unsubscribe/Manage:



<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>