Re: [Shop-talk] Have you built your own house?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Have you built your own house?
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 22:05:09 -0700
FYI - The residential construction manual is online at
http://www.sonoma-county.org/PRMD/docs/rcm/index.htm
It appears to be a popular Google entry as Google's guess popped up
Sonoma County for me.  It looks like a handy resource.

At one point I had an interest in renovating a house, but don't think
I'm up for it anymore.  I'm down to a few final finish items on a
complete gut job of two bathrooms.   If you have kids with activities,
devoting all that time to building a house may be a challenge.  I guess
it depends on how understanding your wife is.

A lot depends on how good you are with building codes.  I read a bunch
and electrical comes easy to me, so had no issues with electrical.  In
the interest of time, I hired a plumber to do all the rough plumbing.
They had all the fittings in their well stocked trucks.  I would have
multiple trips to the store then lots of leftover parts.  I would have
also done it the way it was then had to fix things that didn't pass
code.  An example is the vanity drains.  Code here (Los Angeles area)
requires a separate cleanout for each drain.  I would have left out the
cleanout because I'm used to just undoing the trap and sending the snake
down that opening.

Homeowners also have less pull with specialized trades when you want to
get them in.  My bathrooms were slowed for a month while I tried to get
a drywall contractor.  I had a wonderful contractor I used previously,
but his team was fully booked on a condo complex and couldn't help.  I
found a guy through a real estate agent, but this guy knew I was a one
time job and jacked the price and did sloppy work.  With a builder, they
know if they do a good job at a fair price, they will get more work.

If I won the lotto and didn't have a job and kids with activities, I'm
sure I'd take on more big projects.  It is all a balancing act.

If you can find a contractor that will work with you and come in as
needed, that might be something to consider.  In 2012, I replaced a
balcony that went the length of the house.  Because it was cantilevered,
I had to take out my entire downstairs ceiling.  I paid by the day and
it work out really well.  His contacts got me a great deal on a trash
hauler and the good drywall guy.  There are also lots of times you
really want a crew - framing and roofing for example.  You can't safely
lift a wall yourself and roofing is just hard work where you can get hurt.

Brian