Re: [Shop-talk] Battery powered lawn mowers

To: Shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Battery powered lawn mowers
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pj_thomas@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 10:27:29 -0400
With a half acre, I'd get a self propelled gas mower.  If it were a flat
half acre level field maybe a law tractor or a ride on.  But if the lot
is a half acre, once you subtract the house, driveway, planting beds,
etc. you actual have a lot less.  If there are slopes a tractor can flip
(ride ons are more stable).

The electric movers are good for small urban/suburban lots.  But once
you get bigger the narrower cutting path of an electric becomes an
issue.  I also think recharging is more work than filling the tank.  The
other advantage of a gas mower is engines are easy to change and much
cheaper than a new mower.  My mower is on it's forth engine.  With an
electric mower the battery eventually needs to be replaced and may not
be available, meaning a new mower.

Peter Thomas