Re: [Shop-talk] Floor repair

To: Robert nogueira <nogera@me.com>, Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Floor repair
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 20:20:34 -0800
Bob - Is there any damage to the wood?  I'd wonder about the reason it
got spongy.

A bigger sheet will be stronger, but you can make due with a smaller
patch.  If you cut out the damaged section, I would leave the existing
floor over the full joist to maintain the strength of the rest of the
floor.  I would then take additional 2x boards and sister them to the
existing joists to attach the patch.  This will give you a full 2x to
attach the floor patch, so you don't have to screw right at the edge of
the plywood.  I would also add 2x blocking between the joists where you
cut to support the edges of both the original floor and the patch.  That
will also stiffen the floor.  If the patch is more than a couple feet or
you have a heavy load at that location, I would also add blocking in the
middle.  It is only an one extra length of board when you are going
through the effort.

If the wood is not damaged and you have access to the floor joists from
below, like an unfinished basement or a crawl space, I'd just add
blocking from below.  Push the blocking up tight and screw it in and you
don't have to mess with the floor.

If this is due to water damage or termites, expect the problem to be
bigger than it appears before demo.

Brian