Re: [Shop-talk] flat screen tv to monitor

To: john niolon <jniolon@att.net>, shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] flat screen tv to monitor
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2015 20:00:00 -0800
John - I have a 27" TV/monitor for my computer.  It is running 1920 x
1080 via a DVI cable.  The computer video is part of the motherboard -
nothing fancy.  It is Windows 7 probably purchased in 2009.  For me, 27"
is plenty big for sitting up close.  You can have two large windows
running.  I will typically only use half the screen at a time and almost
never have any window maximized.

When I put this setup together several years ago, the recommendation was
DVI over HDMI for a computer monitor.  I don't remember the specific
reasons why, but I'm happy with the setup.

Every so often I will connect my wife's laptop to our 32" 720 dpi TV to
watch a movie or show pictures on a bigger screen.  All the Windows
graphics are too big and it annoys me.  I much prefer the smaller icons
on my 1080 screen.

I wouldn't think the price difference between 720 and 1080 is all that
much factored over several years.  If my monitor every goes, there is no
question I'll get another 1080 (or better).

Brian