Re: [Shop-talk] Wiring for DSL

To: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>, "Shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Wiring for DSL
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 19:51:22 -0700
I also agree to get a second router to serve as your main wireless
connection.  My house was wired with about 10 phone jacks (3 bedroom 2
story), but the wires were in bad shape and DSL wouldn't work, so we
disconnected all but 2 jacks.  My wife kept having her printer drop off
network, so I got a second router and ran a 100' cat 6 cable up to the
new router near her computer and printer.

The free router is also probably a low end one.  It is best just to use
it to receive the DSL and have a good one for wireless.  My wife's
signal is much better - less drops and faster - with my newer Trendnet
router instead of the AT&T free one, even when I moved her laptop to the
same room as the AT&T router.

If you have a chase of some sort, you may be able to get the cable to a
good central location.  Since you appear to have some renovations,
hopefully it is easy to at least get up to the second floor.

People say wireless is the future, but I did a balcony replacement and
added some empty conduit from my computer area to my crawlspace in case
I ever needed it.  This conduit made it easy to run the cable to the
second modem.  If you have walls down, running some empty 3/4" PVC
conduit to empty boxes might be a good idea.  You may want to run fiber
in a decade to stream your ultra super duper high def video so you don't
radiate yourself.  PCV conduit is cheap and easy to run.

I don't think it is code, but if you have a HVAC duct, that may also be
a place you could run a cable.

Brian