Re: [Shop-talk] Is this a shutoff?

To: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>, "Shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Is this a shutoff?
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 15:21:54 -0700
Scott - It looks like a shutoff.  Turn the part of the left side of the
picture perpendicular to the pipe and it should be off. Parallel to the
pipe like in the picture is on.

The shutoff will be similar to the one in the picture, such that you
need a wrench to turn it on or off.  You don't want someone turning it
on and off by accident.

In every house I've had, the main shutoff is right before the meter.
Most meters are on one side of the house.  One was in an underground box
at the property line.  I'd ask a neighbor to see what they do in your area.

Brian