Re: [Shop-talk] Installing Time-sert into an engine case?

To: Shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Installing Time-sert into an engine case?
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 16:45:56 -0400
On Apr 17, 2015, at 3:30 PM, Obaa <obaa996@yahoo.com> wrote:

> (Also, I think the insert itself is
> externally threaded with an English thread, which would leave me buggered
if
> the insert didn't work)

Couldn't you just drill out the sidestand mounting plate and use bolts that
match the timesert thread if this happened?

> I'm trying to come up with a way to ensure that I drill the holes properly
> (squarely) into the case.

I don't think this is a critical as you say, for this application. There is
nothing that the timesert references external to the hole, so the hole can be
off by a bit.

> B I was thinking to get appropriately sized drill
> bushings, such
> asB http://www.amazon.com/I-D-Drill-Standard-Press-Bushing/dp/B002RLJ5WEB
> hold the bushings aligned to the case during the drilling, I was going to
> "super-glue" them to the case, and then remove when done by either a sharp
> side-ways blow (shear them off the case), or dousing them with acetone to
> dissolve the bond.
> Does this seem like it would work?B

I'd be worried about the bushing either coming loose from drilling, or not
coming off at all, etc. Have you glued steel to aluminum before?

How about using the sidestand itself as a drill guide?

jim