Re: [Shop-talk] Axle ratio?

To: "Shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Axle ratio?
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 14:38:58 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 13 Apr 2015, Dave Cavanaugh wrote:
> Amazingly enough I was able to find it.  My wife was able to dig out the
> file, and the window sticker was there.  It is a 5300 Vortec with 3.42
> (locking) rear axle and a 6200 GVW rating.  It also has "heavy duty
> trailering equip" which I assume means a transmission cooler and a nice
> receiver hitch and light plug.

    Not sure if you already figured this out or not, but according to the
super-handy Trailer-Life Towing Guide*, your tow rating is 7,100
lbs ( 1500 Ext Cab RWD SB with b,f options... top line of right column,
page 4 in the 2004 book ).

> Given these details, any other stuff I might want to consider adding
> before towing several loads of shop tools (table saws, shapers, etc)
> over a bunch of mountains in western Oregon and southern Idaho?

    I think there's a whole bunch of relevant detail omitted here.  What
kind of trailer?  How old?  Does it have brakes?  What kind?  How heavy is
it empty?  How much weight are you planning to load into it?  Does your
truck have a brake controller?  If not, you're going to want to install a
Tekonsha Prodigy.

    Some people swear by weight distributing hitches.  Some people even use
them all the time, regardless of load.  I have one, but I don't find it
makes a noticeable difference below about 5000 pounds trailer weight.
However, when I tow ~7000 as I often do now ( with my F150 which is rated
for 9700 and weighs about 6000 ) it is very much worth both the small
expense to buy it, and the add'l time to hook it up each trip.

    Good luck.

--
  David Hillman

* <http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/>