Re: [Shop-talk] o/t Water softener

To: Ian McFetridge <shop-talk2@mcfetridge.org>, Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] o/t Water softener
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pj_thomas@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 09:31:45 -0400
On 3/15/2015 9:13 PM, Ian McFetridge wrote:
> The existing 30,000gr softener is from 1994 and the valve is broken beyond
> repair and has to be replaced. (1994 vintage, so not unexpected)  At 20
> years old, I'd like to replace the cylinder, valve, and brine tank.  I got
> quotes from two local companies, one that installed the system for the
> previous owner.

I had one installed in 1994.  I have a lot of iron and manganese. It did
not last me 20 years. The problem with the major brands is they are
proprietary and require you to go to the "authorized" dealer for parts
and service at steep prices.  I opted for a non proprietary system and
installed it myself for about 1/3 the cost. Works great, zero problems.

I don't remember the company or the brand of the unit but you might
consider searching the web.

Peter T.