Re: [Shop-talk] Smart thermostat ?

To: David Cole <dgcole01@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Smart thermostat ?
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 14:43:49 -0400
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
The way these save money is by simply  turning down the heat during the
times you don't want it,
like at night and when you are at work.

I think it is best to have one that is not too difficult to program.
Unfortunately most of them have ancient, cheap, ugly user interfaces.

Last year I got one of those cute Nest thermostats for the first floor of
our house.
It is certainly good-looking, and fairly easy to program from a web browser.
But its hyped auto-learn feature does not work so well, since it is
mounted in the living room, which is usually unoccupied (compared to
the den and kitchen).

I could have bought a second one for upstairs, but I did not feel like
spending another $200.
The one downstairs is sufficient to impress guests. :-)

But if you often leave your house for more than a day at a time, the
ability to remotely control the heat from a smartphone or PC would be
pretty handy.
Our house is almost always occupied, so I can take advantage of
that only a few times per year.

Doug