Re: [Shop-talk] Water treatment options

To: eric@megageek.com, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Water treatment options
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pj_thomas@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 10:18:25 -0500
References: <OF3691795D.CF3F6205-ON85257C5F.0081AB9C-85257C5F.00822452@mail.megageek.com> s=q20121106; t=1389712708; bh=KE6TU5LHR/pmUU1BSpvBeranwQf7ua2n8vWEgL6A9VY=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Date:From:MIME-Version:To:Subject: Content-Type; b=H0wG/721+h+4HWH4TyjUT5qwpYQdOzgcQZtv16i1lAu41bcW6BGRzfRs6neKREx7N WhBQh8tr6loVnnI976wuEOY2r/6GcIauIzK//uKfSxcS/V98jgOeSCnNMMEK3dhQ9f ikamQ9GTf7lela36Ee+OPlz8et2/u3xpQGjrQjNCE+e/CkbdiDYFGbgpHXPExPjZtO kY8/1K3Mv7ho03IgdJCAadxU68IPpGadmw3SoQKihctWLXVdQ+yfkdRMtOjxTKKA/6 y5WBtz0bh1XtZG8tTdbSC3cp9TNjRId1Q7suUTYSTKfLYpUOzHpZGZEUh2H9U4acc4 sCltsn4rf1DYA==
On 1/13/2014 6:18 PM, eric@megageek.com wrote:
> Well, I finally had my water tested since the new well, and of course it
> looks like I need some treatments. (Questions in BOLD)
>
> First, I had a 'free water testing' done by a local plumbing chain.  They
> are the ones that gave me the test results.
>
> Should I pay for a water test from a local lab to make sure they are just
> tell everyone their water is bad to sell systems?

Never trust the test from someone who wants to sell you expensive
equipment.  Here, a new well requires a lab test that contains all the
information that the "free" test has and more accurate.  The test
usually less than $50 and worth it.

> Next, I had acidic water, 5.5 I believe (I had to wait to get the actual
> results), then I had hardwater (to be expected), and finally I had iron in
> the water.

That's acidic enough to eat away at your copper pipes, water heater,
facuets, etc. over time.  I had to replumb my mother's house with pex.
Pin holes started appearing after 20 years from less acidid water. Also
shortens the life of clothes.  Only solution is an acid filter that runs
the water through a bed of calcium carbonate that has to be replenished.

> The Iron I'm not worried about. (you can't see, or smell it.)

My water smells and taste of iron pretty bad.  It's clear out of the tap
but looks like weak tea if left out overnight.  You could fill a large
clear glass container and leave it out overnight uncovered. The compare
against a fresh container in the morning.

> The hard water, I wanted to treat with an electronic system. Does anyone
> know if they work, or are they snake oil?
Snake oil.

> Finally, I have to install a system to neutralize the water.  Does anyone
> have any ideas on what I should do?
>
> I plan to do the work myself, am I crazy?
NO, not crazy.  It's actually better to do it yourself.  If you pay
someone to do it they set you up with a proprietary system that you
can't buy parts.  I made this mistake and got tired of paying $100 to
have someone come with a $100 part that really should cost only $10.  I
eventually replaced it with an system I bought online.  I can buy parts
though I haven't had in ten years.  I also configured it for my need
rather than take what was offered.  It's been reliable and operates
better.  And it was easy to install.