Re: [Shop-talk] Standby Generators

To: James Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>, Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Standby Generators
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 09:00:08 -0800
Jim - Here is another idea.  Rather than heat the house, how about just
heating the pipes?  I seem to recall some sort of electrical pipe heater
wrap that was controlled by a thermostat, set down at about 45 degrees.
  You could then put insulated pipe wrap on top of that.  If the current
draw is low enough, you could look at a bank of batteries to power it,
like people with solar power off the grid.  The batteries could be on a
good charger so they stay maintained.

I don't know the pricing on this option, but it avoids an engine,
generator, and transfer switch.  You may even find a small second hand
system from someone that upgraded to a larger size.

Brian