Re: [Shop-talk] Removed wainscoting, now outlet box sticks out

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Removed wainscoting, now outlet box sticks out
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 20:08:29 -0700
Cc: shop-talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Jim - A Wiremold starter box should work.  See the picture at
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wiremold-Legrand-Non-Metallic-Extra-Deep-White-Outlet-Box-NMW35/100657459

(This is just a sample with a pretty picture showing the back plate.
I'd get the thinnest one that fits.)  These boxes are designed to be a
starting point for a surface mount channel.

Since your box is sticking out, I would just get some long screws for
the outlet and skip the back plate.  You may need to drill out the
outlet screw holes so the long screws pull the extension against the wall.

The other option is to replace the outlet box.  If it is plastic and
attached to the studs, just break it apart and put in an old work box like
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1-Gang-Non-Metallic-Old-Work-Box-B114RB/100404027

If it is metal, you can try and either break it apart or just undo the
wires and push the box in the wall then go with the old work box.

You could also make a spacer with a 1x4 and beveled or cove edges.
Anything exposed to the inside of the box needs to be non-combustible,
so use a box extender like
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Electrical-Box-Extender-BE1-2/202708650

Before you do anything, make a diagram of the wires and make sure
everything is off.

Brian