Re: [Shop-talk] Stand-on mowers?

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Stand-on mowers?
From: Nick Brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 21:37:01 +0100
Cc: Shop-talk@autox.team.net
On 29/05/2013 19:55, Jim Franklin wrote:
> I have about 1/2 acre of foot-high grass that I just want short, not
> pristine. Got a quote of $385 to cut it. Once. I have a Honda rider mower
> that is dog slow and fills the bags in 10 feet.
>
> I'd like to get one of those stand-on mowers I see the pros using that
> really scoot, and either mulch or drive it towards the center/edge, but I
> have no idea what to search for. Any ideas/experiences?

Jim,

This machine could be what you are looking for:

http://www.scag.com/vride.html

Might be overkill for 1/2 an acre but I can't imagine why that should
put you off...

Another option is a flail mower, if you are cutting irregularly I've
found that these deal with the mowings better than a rotary deck. Ferris
make one:

http://www.ferrisindustries.com/eu/en/walk-behind-mowers/Comfort-control-dd-fm/

Not a stand on but half an acre of mowing only means about 1 1/4 miles
of walking.

Both makers are well thought of in the business.

Nick Brearley