Re: [Shop-talk] Non-skid replacement for hardwood floor strip?

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Non-skid replacement for hardwood floor strip?
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 10:41:05 -0700
Cc: shop-talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Jim - Look at something like this from the Home Depot web site:
I searched for "non-skid".  It sounds exactly what you want and the
first two five star reviews are the same stair application.

www.homedepot.com/p/t/203002764?catalogId=10053

Seal-Krete 3.2 oz. Clear Grip - Anti-Skid Additive
Model # 402002
Internet # 203002764
$8.88 /EA-Each

SEAL-KRETE Clear Grip is a durable, micronized polymeric aggregate
developed for use as an anti-skid additive to floor paint or sealers.
Because it's a lightweight plastic grit, Clear Grip remains suspended
longer. It adds a slight texture to the finish without changing colors.
It has excellent resistance to chemicals and detergents and helps extend
paint life. Clear Grip can be used in water-based, solvent-based alkyd,
urethane or epoxy coatings.

  -   Mix with paint or sealers to as a measure of safety to slippery
steps, stairs and walkways
  -   Will not soften under normal heat exposure
-    Dries clear in sealers
-    Chemical and solvent resistant

 From the reviews:

We have hardwood stairs in our house and we've had a few close calls
when walking on them wearing socks. I lightly sanded the stairs, mixed
some Clear Grip into a quart of urathane clear coat and painted it on.
The stairs are much safer now and they look the same as they did before.

----

We needed to refinish our wooden stairs in our home. I had seen this
product used on one of those many re-do your house shows, so we thought
we would give it a try. We added the recommended amount to the clear
polyurethane we used for the top of the steps. It mixed in very easily -
and after it was good and dry, YEAH, NO LONGER SLIPPERY!! You cannot
tell it is there unless you look closely. We HIGHLY recommend this
product to anyone that worries about sliping on the stairs.

Brian