Re: [Shop-talk] Wall Tile Removal

To: Glenn Owen <mgowen55@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Wall Tile Removal
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 20:06:35 -0800
Cc: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Glenn - Most importantly, you need to keep the dust out of your lungs
and the rest of the house. I recommend a respirator that you can pick up
for under $30 at lots of places. Also, seal the door with plastic or put
a fan in the window sucking out to keep the dust out of the house. Also
add eye protection and hearing protection if using power tools.

If you have plaster walls on the other side of the tile that you don't
want to disturb, I'd use caution with a big sledge hammer. Someone else
mentioned a grout blade in an oscillating cutter. While they do work
well and are easy to control, for demo, I recommend a diamond blade in
an angle grinder because it is much faster. Wear gloves. Do a vertical
cut down the center of the stud bays following a grout line. If the tile
goes to the ceiling, consider a horizontal cut near the top so you don't
mess up the ceiling too much. You can then push in and pry out to pop of
the tile in 16" wide segments.

Brian