Re: [Shop-talk] Replacing a duct

To: Tim <tputland@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Replacing a duct
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 09:42:33 -0800
Cc: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Tim - I'd be hesitant to cut the board you marked as a seam or any
structure at all.  Load standards today are not the same as when the
house was built and lumber is not as strong.  I did a cantilever balcony
replacement last summer and the structural engineer I had do the plans
for me said the 2x8 joists from when my house was built in 1957 are
twice as strong as a current 2x8.  I ended up having to use engineered
joists to meet my space restrictions.  My point here is that I wouldn't
mess with any structure without more of an analysis by someone that can
actually examine your situation.

Have you considered bumping it down like an exposed beam?  You could
make it from 1x trim to match the rest of the wood trim.

Another option is to use two 45 degree turns and then frame that
exposure as a gusset or brace.  You could add another one on the other
side of the room to match.

Good luck.

Brian