Re: [Shop-talk] Repairing Wrought Iron Railing

To: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Repairing Wrought Iron Railing
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 14:03:00 -0700
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Jim,

Did it crack because of rust?  If so, it might take a bit more effort to

One is to see them fix a porch railing at
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/ask-toh/video/0,,20555837,00.html

If I recall correctly, they took the railing and cut off the damaged
bottom.  They then had new square sections with a steel rod inside. They
used some sort of caulk/adhesive and attached the repair portion to the
bottom of the rail.  They used a hammer drill to remove the railing post
from the cement.  Finally, they put the railing back in place with new
cement.

Another option is to fabricate a foot plate on a segment of square tube
and use some concrete screws/bolts to attach it to the step.

I'll be doing one of the two with some of my iron railing that is rusted
away at the base.  I just have not picked which one.

If there is no rust, you may be able to just weld it up, but I can't
offer any tips there as I only welded once.  It was 3/16" steel to make
shock brackets for my TR6, and they have held up nicely, but it did take
some time with the grinder to get pretty.

Brian