Re: [Shop-talk] Snap-On buzz boxes

To: Scott <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Snap-On buzz boxes
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 18:52:58 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 1 Feb 2012, Scott wrote:
> There's a 110V Snap-On box for sale locally. I'd like something a little more
> portable than the Miller A/B I have now. I assume Snap-On welders are just
> re-badged Hobarts/Millers/whatevers.  Anyone know if it's always one
> manufacturer, or have an opinion of Snap-On welders in general?  Should I
> just skip it and get the Millermatic?  It's bigger, but at least it's on a
> cart.

    I've never seen a Snap-On that was a rebadged Miller(Hobart) or
Lincoln.  Some of them are made by Systematics ( http://www.800abcweld.com/ ),
but I think there are other makers, as well.  Some were made by Century
before Lincoln took it over.

    Generally, speaking, Snap-On welders are hugely over-priced, but
otherwise quality units.  No real reason to buy one, though, unless you
find a great deal used or have to pay weekly.  Even most of the used units
are still way over-priced, because some poor guy is trying to get his
money back out of it.

    You don't necessarily have to get a Millermatic.  There are other deals
around.  Clarke makes some quality small MIGs in Italy, and they tend to
be very cheap second-hand, and not bad at all new.  For $330 you can get a
little refurb'd Lincoln 125 from IOC...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LINCOLN-WORK-PAK-125-MIG-WELDER-120V-U2699-1-REFURB-/130480032807?pt=BI_Welders&hash=item1e61374c27

--
  David Hillman