Re: [Shop-talk] 12VDC, 100A, DPDT NO relay

To: "'shop-talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] 12VDC, 100A, DPDT NO relay
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 15:34:02 -0800
> Don't underestimate the duty cycle issue.

I don't know the duty cycle for the Ford starter solenoid; but there are
similar solenoids sold for battery isolation in motor homes that have an
unlimited (or at least 6 hours) duty cycle.  On my old Winnebago it came on
with the ignition switch (unless it was overridden by a dash switch) and
connected the two 'camping' batteries directly to the 'starting' battery.
And since I could start the engine from the camping batteries (if there was
enough in the starting battery to operate the solenoid), it had to carry
several hundred amps.

-- Randall

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums