I think you'll find it's not actually boiling - if that was the case it
would give off water vapour. The excess charge rate will be causing some
heating, but is actually splitting the water molecules - that's why
hydrogen and oxygen gases are given off. It just looks like it's boiling
because of the heat and the appearance of bubbles.
On 10/07/2011 13:29, Tim wrote:
> Thanks to all who replied!
> It is always a learning experience for me when I deal with a new issue
> with my Roadsters. (learning to be a petrol head one issue at at
> time.) I didn't know it was the actual boiling of a battery that
> caused the release of the dangerous gasses.
> I was told some years ago that you have not had a complete day until
> you have learned something new. Yesterday was a comlete day!
> PEACE :-)
> On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 7:41 AM, Tim wrote:
>> Correct me if I am mistaken here:
>> When charging an automotive battery, it has to be in a well
>> ventilated space, correct?
>> If true, what about using a battery tender? Would it be at all
>> dangerous to have a battery tender hooked up to a car that gets
>> covered when in the garage?
>> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>> Suggested annual donation $12.96
>> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
>> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Suggested annual donation $12.96