Re: [Shop-talk] Engine stand for Ford big block

To: ShopTalk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Engine stand for Ford big block
From: Michael Burdick <burdickm@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 10:08:23 -0400
I need to rebuild the engine in my truck, and am looking for guidance
on engine stands.  The engine is a '93 7.5L (460ci) big block - cast
iron block and heads.

I have a generic 3 wheeled stand (750 lb rating?) that supported a
Stag engine, but it seemed to be pretty close to it's working limit as
the engine bounced around a lot as I was working on it, and I worried
about tipping over when rolling it around.  I'm considering a folding,
4 wheeled 1250lb stand from Northern with a geared head.  Is that
going to be sufficient?

Thanks in advance for any input,

Mike Burdick
Durham, NC