Re: [Shop-talk] hanging bicycles

To: Tim <tputland@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] hanging bicycles
From: Marcus Pless <mpless@ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 09:16:57 -0700
I'ge got a few hoists similar to the following in my garage:

_http://www.amazon.com/RAD-Cycle-Products-Ceiling-Mount/dp/tags-on-product/B0
00PEURIQ_
<http://www.amazon.com/RAD-Cycle-Products-Ceiling-Mount/dp/tags-on-product/B0
00PEURIQ>

I think I actually bought mine from nashbar.com or Performance Bike
but for some reason their servers aren't responding right now. The only
thing you need to pay attention to is how well the hooks are "hooked"
under the rear of the saddle, which is entirely determined by the
design of your saddle. You can always use an additional piece of velcro
to make sure the hook can't slip. I've never seen the rope/hoist
mechanism slip, and people I know, as well as myself, have been using
these things for years. I bolted mine to 2x4s which are longer than the
rafter spacing in my garage and I then just place them across the
rafters
like a bridge. That allows me to easily move them or temporarily take
them down if they're in the way for any reason.