[Shop-talk] Pedestal Sink Trap

Subject: [Shop-talk] Pedestal Sink Trap
From: pj_thomas at comcast.net (Peter J. Thomas)
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 20:25:08 -0400
I've demo'ed the powder room.  Replacing the vinyl with tile, the vantiy
with a pedestal sink and going to add wainscoting.

The problem is the waste line for the sink.  Originally the P trap went
out the left side of the vanity tied into a 1 1/2 inch vertical stack
which is the vent stack above the junction.  I believe this is also the
vent for the toilet as the 1 1/2 waste line ties into the end of the
toilet waste line.  The reason it went into the side wall instead of the
back wall is because there is a joist underneath the back wall.  Putting
the sink against the side wall is not an option, I must to against the
back wall.

So what to do?

Option one is an S Trap.  Pretty sure it won't siphon the trap  It's
just a powder room sink and there aren't any fixtures upstream.  But S
Traps are against code.  Also I can't find a "Pedestal Trap", so the
pipe would be exposed against the back wall.  I can't put it in the wall
because of a joist underneath the wall.  Any one know of a source for a
"Pedestal Trap".

Option two is to use a P Trap in the back was with a 1 1/4 vent running
horiztonally through the wall, tied into the original.  For a 1 1/2"
drain I only need 3/4" but code says a minimum of 1 1/4" for the vent.
None of the walls are load bearing. So I believe the would meet code.
Still the pipe can't go completely in the wall because of the joist below.

Option three is to put the trap in the floor.  Straight pipe down
through the pedestal and a small 1 1/2" P trap in the floor.  I actually
like this option the best but not sure it's legal.

Any sights?

Peter T.