[Shop-talk] aluminum floor jack

Subject: [Shop-talk] aluminum floor jack
From: wmc_st at xxiii.com (Wayne)
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 22:05:52 -0400
On 4/9/2011 8:07 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
> ....... The reason it's eaten
> the seal (whether it's an oring or a cup seal) is because the
> machining sucks.   My experience with cheap chinese jacks is that it's
> the main seal on the piston that fails.  It's bigger than what's in

Would something like a brake cylinder hone clean it up well enough to
work for a while?

I have a Sears 3 ton floor jack that is starting to fail after about 18
years.  Wish I knew more about fixing the things.  The jack saddle on
the thing is so dang high, it has trouble getting under most new cars
anyway.  But I worry a new low-profile one will just expire quickly
anyway.  Hmmm.

-Wayne