[Shop-talk] building stuff with steel ?????

Subject: [Shop-talk] building stuff with steel ?????
From: dmscheidt at gmail.com (David Scheidt)
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 15:58:41 -0400
On Apr 6, 2011, at 3:13 PM, "john niolon" <jniolon at bham.rr.com> wrote:

> normally speaking without specific criteria... when you buy steel
> tubing for
> projects like cherry pickers, engine stands, shop equipment... is it
> hot
> rolled or cold rolled..... and why ??  price ?? availability ??
> other ??

Hot-rolled is much cheaper. It's also not as dimensionally accurate,
because it's formed hot, and can shrink too much or not enough and can
warp.  Commonly availAble grades also have wider compositon tollerance.

I prefer cold rolled but don't usually get a choice because the yard I
buy from does not have many things in both forms. So unless I want to
buy q trucklo