Re: [Shop-talk] Tig Welder

To: John Mitchell <jmitch@snet.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tig Welder
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 14:49:37 -0700
TIGs have an infinite number of possible settings; if you're not an expert or
don't plan to get some training it will
take a while to figure out all the settings.  If you're not an expert--or can't
spend a lot of time learning--the Miller
Diversion series is nice kit.  I got a Diversion 180 from these guys:

http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/servlet/the-3391/MILLER-DIVERSION-165-AC-fdsh-DC/Detail

Free shipping and no tax if you don't live in IN.  I got the 180, which is a
bit more powerful and more expensive, but
IOC doesn't seem to carry them any more.  NFI, etc.; I just got good price and
service from them.

With the Diversion, you set the metal type (Al or steel), and the approximate
thickness of the material.  Current is
controlled by a rotary knob on the torch; this is a bit awkward but a pedal
control is optional (but not convenient if
you're not welding on the bench).

For frame repair you'd probably want at least 180A.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell@comcast.net

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums