Re: [Shop-talk] Center Console dash replacement (sorta OT)

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Center Console dash replacement (sorta OT)
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 22:40:19 -0400
On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 8:34 AM,  <eric@megageek.com> wrote:
> OK, this is a project currently in my shop, so it's sort of on topic.
>
> I am repairing a center console for a Boston Whaler boat. B The fiberglass
> center console has an adhesive textured sticker on it for the surface.
>
> See the pictures here...

<http://www.megageek.com/photo/photoa~1.nsf/a7ffeab012bbfb5b85256eb1007ca7f6/
32fdad48cc306f718525787600445bb0?OpenDocument>

> It's the black covering in the pics.
>
> Does anyone know of a source of this material? B If not, what it might be
> called as I have been Googling everything I can think of but can't find
> any.
>
> I only need a piece the size of the top of the console.
>
> I'm guessing this stuff needs to be tough to withstand salt, sun, and the
> elements.
>
> Any ideas, or points in the right direction will be greatly appreciated!

Non skid is normally  molded into the top coat of the fiberglass.
I can't tell from your pictures if that's what's going on or not.  If
you want to match what you've got exactly, you can take a mold in
silicone.   a company called gibco makes flexible molds in a number of
patterns

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com